• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"El Mundo" and the Reviews in "Metropoli"

I would like to express my uneven experience when trying restaurants after reading a review. I admit I am a great fan of "Metropoli", the entertainment magazine from "El Mundo". I have been following their recomendations for a very long time, and have discovered great restaurants that I would probably never would have tried otherwise. But, sometimes I have been dissapointed, which doesn´t mean I will stop buying the magazine or trying their feautured restaurants. This Friday I tried one of the tapas bars featured, Puerto Viejo de Algorta on Reina Mercedes 25. All of the hot pintxos were already cooked and on display, so if you ordered the campeon (chistorra with egg and fries, that apparently won a prize for its creator, Martin Berasategui) they will put it on the microwave. The same occured when other people ordered hake with praws breaded. The hake looked and tasted frozen and was quite dry. I was quite surprised to see they used the microwave to re-heat the pintxos. The quality therefore for me and my friends was just average. I believe this is not uncommon, but it did surprise me it got a good review... Any thoughts?

I think you're right - the reviewer happened to taste the tapas when freshly made and they were decent. He returned after the review was published and did notice that they had become stale. Only then did he find out that they only cook tapas TWICE A DAY - then just reheat them! However, you should re-read Lerena's review and note that there's not a single plaudit in it - it's strictly descriptive. It's important not to interpret reviews beyond what they actually say. There's not always a fine restaurant or tapas bar to review every week.

BTW, Paco, I find it slightly curious that after so many fine revelations which you say you have collected from Metrópoli, you only post about it on eGullet the day when you claim to have been 'disappointed'! How about a nice word or two when you do discover the next great restaurant in this magazine - just for the sake of balance?

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

My apologies Victor, I will try to write about a good dining experience when reviewed in your magazine. I have recomended restaurants to other egulleters that have become my favorites after reading your reviews.

In any case, what a shame to have an award-wining tapa only to serve it in such a way!