• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly restaurant for rehearsal dinner

tim

We are looking for ideas and recommendations for a party for 50 - 60:

1. Small chef-owned restaurant featuring fresh local food with a changing menu. We will want moderate pricing, up to $50/cover plus drinks. (Small plates preferred.) A private dining room is not required Maybe a French bistro. Derek's seems a good possibility.

or

2. A fun experience for a really casual party. A Philly cheesesteak malt shop or bakery/bistro.

or

3. A private chef with a facility.

Thank you for your ideas,

Tim

Dock Street Brew pub at 50th and Baltimore has great beer and very good pizza and salads. It is a fun space. You could also consider a Chinese banquet in Chinatown, or like a friend of mine did a number of years ago, a Burmese banquet at Rangoon in Chinatown.

Dock Street Brew pub at 50th and Baltimore has great beer and very good pizza and salads.  It is a fun space. You could also consider a Chinese banquet in Chinatown, or like a friend of mine did a number of years ago, a  Burmese banquet at Rangoon in Chinatown.

In Chinatown, Joseph Poon has a great facility for a banquet that easily accomodates and probably wouldnt be to tough on the budget.

We had our rehearsal dinner at Bistro St. Tropez.

I've never eaten there any other time, but the food was very good and they gave us a private room in the back of the restaurant with a view of the river. The options really accomodated a wide range of price points and we found it to be quite reasonable.

Based on what you're looking for I think it's certainly worth investigating.

Thank you,

We are considering Patou or Bistro St. Tropez, sister restaurants run by Patrice Rames.

We have not received responses to phone calls or email. Any thoughts on this?

Tim