• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help please! Surrey and wider area recs

Jools

This is my first time posting on eG and I need your help please. It's my husband's 30th birthday at the end of July and we both love trying new food. I planned to treat him to an Ecole du Vin Weekend on 18th July but have since found out we have to attend a wedding that weekend :sad:

What I really want to do is stay at a lovely hotel over a weekend where we can dine at a fine restaurant and generally relax and enjoy ourselves. I may end up at a Hotel du Vin anyway, but wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions.

We live in Surrey and I'm happy to drive for up to two hours to get there. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Northcote Manor is probably a bit of a way out but worth considering otherwise or alternatively why not go to Gidleigh Park - beautiful setting, lovely hotel and good food. Equally you could shoot up to London, book into a nice hotel and choose from one of the many cracking places in the smoke!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Thanks Ravelda - both those suggestions look great, though I'm swaying towards Northcote Manor now :biggrin: Ideally I want to stay away from London as we both work up here and so it would be nice to go away somewhere different. Thanks again!

Thanks Ravelda - both those suggestions look great, though I'm swaying towards Northcote Manor now  :biggrin: Ideally I want to stay away from London as we both work up here and so it would be nice to go away somewhere different. Thanks again!

another last minute thought would be Sat Baines in Nottingham - the restaurant has rooms and the food is excellent. It does lack the wonderful views and walks of the other two though!

David

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?