• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Extra Large Eggs

greenbean

I was at my local public library a few weeks ago and picked up a new baking cookbook, The Essential Baker by Carole Bloom. The book was arranged by ingredient, fruit, chocolate, nuts, etc. I was very intrigued until I noticed something strange (to me): all of the eggs in all of the recipes were extra large. I looked at the beginning of the book where the author talked about ingredients and she says that she does indeed use extra large eggs. She goes on to explain how to convert large to extra large for those who only have the former.

So I am wondering if there are people out there who prefer baking with extra large eggs, or is there some huge underground extra large egg movement that I am unaware of? I have not looked at the book since I discovered this and I plan to take it back (although I will have to do it under the cover of darkness since I promised the librarians that I would bring them samples), but I can say I am disappointed. I love cookbooks, I read them at night like novels, but I can't get into this one. Is it me?

I'm with you. As far as I know, large eggs are the standard measure in cookbooks. I rarely see the extra large egg measure. As a home baker, I find dealing with extra large eggs a nuisance.

But don't give up on the cookbook so easily. Flip thru it for a few recipes that might be worth converting the egg measures, and xerox them. Then return the book to the library under cover of darkness. :wink:

I have often wondered if today's extra large eggs would simply have been called large a few decades ago. Others I've discussed this with have agreed - maybe it's a part of your egg conspiracy. I don't have any data to substantiate this claim, and I know as people get bigger/older everything looks smaller than before - but still - I could swear those eggs of my childhood were larger.

BTW I agree that the public library is a tremendous source for quality cookbooks. I often grab a pile and then maybe one in twenty will I go out and purchase. I figure it has saved me thousands of dollars over the years and a lot of valuable shelf space at home. They may not have the latest releases right away but this acts like a filter - only market-tested good cookbooks get to the library's collections.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Not that I necessarily enjoy dredging up my old material, but check out THIS topic where I leveled the playing field in my recipes using duck (as well as large chicken and guinnea). The conversion is rather easy and now I do it in my head. If the recipe calls for 1 yolk - okay, 20g. 1 white - 30 g. 1 whole egg - 50 g. Now I regularly crack away and store. I find myself making a lot of custards and macarons in my freetime.