• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(Houston)Little Bitty Burger Barn

jscarbor

After checking out A. Cook's blog then the review in the Chron I thought I would give this place a shot. It wasn't that crowded but by the panicin the emloyees faces you would have thoughtit was. Don't get me wrong, there was not a table to be had but of course there are only 6-7 tables inside and a few bench seats outside. I stood in line about 5 minutes before low and behold having my order taken by Oprah! OK maybe not, but this lady resembled her like nobodies business. She was great too. Alot of times at these small places that get agood review you can get some attitude, usually from the stress but this lady was cool.

Looking around you could tell things were running a little off, the unbused table, the unfilled self serve water pitcher...but for the most part it just looked busy. At one point someone came out of the kitchen sweating looking very dazed mumbling "mom momma told me to be careful for what I wished for". I laughed. When my order was ready the guy said, "you john?" I said yes. He siad, I made you a half pounder by accident. I told him sarcasticly to take it back and get me what I ordered dammit! We had a laugh and I took my burger and fries outside. From the start I could tell this was the real deal. This was an old time Roznovski's burger back when they were good. They use quarter pound patties. This was a nice greasy very flavorful burger. I think it easily catupults into the top 3 burgers in Houston. The fries while a little soggy were fresh and tasty. I applaud the fresh french fry but it really requires a lot of work to do it right. Tey never will probably but atleast they try.

Give ema shot around Antoine and Pinemont

John,

I will definitely have to hit this place up. I passed by Roznoski's over the weekend and wanted to go in. It is no good anymore?

Did you like the Burger Barn more than Bubba's on Westpark? I think I'm going to do a burger hunt soon, in the same manor as my BBQ one back in December.

Roznofski's is decent but not in the top tier.

Little Bitty, Christians Tailgate on Washington, Lankfords, Bubbas, Stantons are some of my favorites.

For the record it blows away the Tornado burger in Stafford that has been raved about by Allisson Cook and Rob Walsh.

Roznofski's is decent but not in the top tier.

Little Bitty, Christians Tailgate on Washington, Lankfords, Bubbas, Stantons are some of my favorites.

For the record it blows away the Tornado burger in Stafford that has been raved about by Allisson Cook and Rob Walsh.

I went to LBBB right after I learned about it a couple of months ago but for the sliders and pork tenderloin sandwiches, minor obsessions of mine. I'll have to go back and try the regular burgers.

I do agree with your assessment of Tornado. Went there ca. August when I stumbled across it and wrote it off. Went back after the raves and still don't care for it. Probably the greasiest fries I've ever had. I've never been to In 'n Out but if this is what they're like I don't need to look them up the next time I'm in CA.

I think they are only similar to in and out in that they use fresh patties and they use fresh potatoes. The fries at In and out are very good and the burgers are as good as it gets fast food wise.

Wild Kitchen on Stella Link does a similar burger that I think is a little better but they've been inconsistent. Good fries consistently, not excessively greasy. I tried the fish and chips at Wild Kitchen first and was not impressed but went back months later for a burger and thought it was pretty good. Fresh never frozen meat, 4 and 7 oz patties, single or double.

All the best burger joints seem to be a long way away from my part of town.

In today's Houston Press Robb Walsh reviews Little Bitty Burger Barn

Seems like the Sliders is the way to go.

OTOH, what the hell is up with his buddy? Is it just me or does anyone else thinks it is a sign of very, very poor taste to take food into a restaurant. No matter how much you dislike the joint, either don't eat there or chug down the damn burger.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

In today's Houston Press Robb Walsh reviews Little Bitty Burger Barn

Seems like the Sliders is the way to go.

OTOH, what the hell is up with his buddy? Is it just me or does anyone else thinks it is a sign of very, very poor taste to take food into a restaurant. No matter how much you dislike the joint, either don't eat there or chug down the damn burger.

From back in December:

gallery_58650_5736_320440.jpg

Not outstanding but there aren't a lot of alternatives for sliders in Houston. They slightly burnt my buns and onions which I didn't care for. I think I'd prefer the buns steamed. Seems like the place has gotten quite busy. I recommend the tots.

Interesting comments in Walsh's review by the guy from Reef re: hand-cut vs. frozen fries.

Edited by brucesw (log)

• 2 weeks later...

It's pretty much been my experience over the years that you get a great burger at Lankford most of the time but every now and then they seem to have sent out for the burger. That's part of why I like Christian's a little better - more consistent.

I'd just like to find a place that does a 4 or 5 oz burger well consistently; I just don't like to stuff myself with the bigger (8 oz?) burgers; I want some room for a side, too.