• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NoMi - Chicago

cabrales

:biggrin:

Move it to the top of your list.  Chef Gamba rocks, and the only thing cooler than the view from a table by the windows during the day would be the view from a table by the windows at night! 

Pray tell us, Fair Lady T, how would you know about the view. Dost thou speak from experience?

Madam, I do. The Boul Mich lights during Christmas season are most particularly gorgeous.

Fair disclosure: Not everything I eat ends up on the board...

:wink:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

• 1 year later...

Dined recently at NoMi.

View (especially the window tables) is wonderful, has to be one of the best in the city. Service was prompt but not the most amiable. LOTS of suits.

Appetizer of oxtail raviolis w/reduction was good, not great.

Main course of Monk Fish, clams, mussels, mushrooms, plantains with a coconut/lemongrass cream broth and ginger pancake got better and better the more I ate it. A very good dish but I made a better imitation at home the following weekend sans ginger pancake.

NOT a cheap place. $38 for most entrees. wines by glass $8-16.

When I go to a restaurant such as NoMi, I expect to see 2-3 appetizers and 2-3 entrees that will JUMP OUT at me and I'll have a tough time choosing between. That did not occur; I was talking myself "into" dishes. I don't know if it was the wording or the descriptions just did not click but I generally view that as a negative.

While waiting for my associate to arrive, I spoke at two different times w/two local (live downtown) couples who had tried NoMi more than once. Both had the same comment, it is expensive and they expected it to be much better. Both said the terrace is wonderful and not to missed for drinks when it opens.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

• 2 months later...

I'd recommend heading over to NoMi asap, as its heart and soul, chef Sandro Gamba is leaving. I'm sure what's coming next there will be great, but it certainly won't be the same.

According to this week's installment of Chicago Magazine's Dish, Gamba's not yet sure where he's going next but his last day will be July 15.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com