• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

On 12/4/2015 at 11:12 AM, Smithy said:

That's a brilliant design, and new to me. I wonder whether those are still made - and if not, why not?

Yes. They are still made.  With fewer blades and even more blades, (7) and with smaller diameter wheels.

I put it on eBay and it sold immediately and is already in the hands of the buyer.

I still have the one with the bar, which has 8 cutting wheels which have to be repositioned one by one with the use of an allen wrench.

I never had a problem with uneven pressure.  This one is sturdy enough and the stainless steel is rigid enough that even cutting is easy.  Maybe when first used, one might have a problem but the learning curve is very shallow and these save a huge amount of time and insure that each piece is the same size.

Actually the bar cutter has 10 blades, there are just two not on the bar, in the bag with the allen wrenches (2, an extra in case the first is lost).

andiesenji

andiesenji

On 12/4/2015 at 11:12 AM, Smithy said:

That's a brilliant design, and new to me. I wonder whether those are still made - and if not, why not?

Yes. They are still made.  With fewer blades and even more blades, (7) and with smaller diameter wheels.

I put it on eBay and it sold immediately and is already in the hands of the buyer.

I still have the one with the bar, which has 8 cutting wheels which have to be repositioned one by one with the use of an allen wrench.

I never had a problem with uneven pressure.  This one is sturdy enough and the stainless steel is rigid enough that even cutting is easy.  Maybe when first used, one might have a problem but the learning curve is very shallow and these save a huge amount of time and insure that each piece is the same size.