• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potluck recipes without eggs or poultry?

lutefisk

Does the party have any kind of theme?

This chickpea and orzo salad went over well at a potluck I went to recently. (it actually tastes better if made at least 8 hours in advance ):

Mix to combine:

1/2 pound dried chickpeas, soaked and cooked

8 oz. orzo, cooked and rinsed with cool water

1 cup frozen leaf spinach, thawed and drained

1 red pepper, roasted and diced

For vinaigrette, whisk together:

3 cloves roasted garlic, mashed

1 TB tomato paste

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

2 TB extra virgin olive oil

2 tsp. honey

kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste

Pour vinaigrette over salad ingredients, toss and refrigerate overnight.

Before serving, over top, crumble 2 oz. feta cheese and sprinkle 1/4 cup toasted pinenuts and 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (I like a mix of flat leaf parsley, oregano and mint).

No theme, no specific course required. I think I'd like to do something either appetizer or entree-ish. Or maybe a soup? I believe it will be a buffet kind of thing and I'd like to do this without spending a ton of money.

I like the idea of meatballs, assuming there will be a microwave for reheating (I just wrote and asked the host). I have a feeling there will be a lot of salad-type items.