• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chefs getting to know their food

lala

Did anyone read the article in the NY Times on Chefs who have animals raised for slaughter?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/16/dining/1...ing&oref=slogin

I attended a "Sacrificio" last Sunday, where the folks at Culinary Communion did the same with a pig they had raised. It was an amazing experience, very respectful and not sensationalized. I wish they'd been in this piece.

Did anyone else go on Sunday?

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Did anyone read the article in the NY Times on Chefs who have animals raised for slaughter?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/16/dining/1...ing&oref=slogin

I attended a "Sacrificio" last Sunday, where the folks at Culinary Communion did the same with a pig they had raised. It was an amazing experience, very respectful and not sensationalized. I wish they'd been in this piece.

Did anyone else go on Sunday?

Great article lala, thanks for pointing it out. I rarely read the NY Times.

Can you elaborate on your experience at the "Sacraficio"? I'd have gone if it weren't 3000 miles west of here.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

It was very interesting, and not at all gory. There were about 80 people attending, including many kids.

They allowed time for people to meet the pig, and people actually thanked him for his life and future as dinner. Gabriel Claycamp (Culinary Communion owner) killed him with a gunshot, then the pig (named Hector) was strung up and bled. Apparently it's hard to cut correctly so that the blood doesn't go everywhere, and it was caught in a bucket.

Then they seared the hair off the pig (which took quite a while), and cut him in half end to end. It was actually really interesting to see the anatomy - like a meat fabrication book come to life.

All the while Gabe and others talked us through the process, explaining clearly what they were doing and why. The kids loved seeing the cut through version (don't kids love seeing how things are put together?).

Then the two halves were laid out and butchered - Gabe did one half, and a bunch of us who had brought knives did the other. The texture of the meat was very soft, and it was explained that it's rare to butcher a pig so soon after killing, that the meat usually goes through rigor before it's fabricated. Gabe explained what all the parts were and how they would be used.

They grilled the tenderloin and a few other parts of the pig, served a meal to the guests and had a bluegrass band playing.

All in all it was very respectful and incredibly educational. It was actually fun! The kids seemed to really enjoy the process, and I bet none of them will look at packaged meat on a styrofoam tray the same again.

I think they're going to do another Sacrificio this summer. I hope so, the only way this one could be better is if it was warmer!

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”