• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butter Scum

Shel_B

This morning I was preparing some brown rice. In so doing, the rice is sauteed in a little oil - today butter was used - and then cooked on the stove top in a conventional manner. A fair amount of scum floated to the top in the initial minutes of cooking the rice, something I've not observed before, even when using butter . Today a regular commercial brand of salted butter was used, not the usual unsalted, premium or organic brands of butters that I usually use.

So, can this scum be the result of lower quality, non-organic butter, or perhaps the salt in the butter? Something else? I uused the same, organic brown rice as usual.

shel

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

This morning I was preparing some brown rice. In so doing, the rice is sauteed in a little oil - today butter was used - and then cooked on the stove top in a conventional manner. A fair amount of scum floated to the top in the initial minutes of cooking the rice, something I've not observed before, even when using butter . Today a regular commercial brand of salted butter was used, not the usual unsalted, premium or organic brands of butters that I usually use.

So, can this scum be the result of lower quality, non-organic butter, or perhaps the salt in the butter?  Something else?  I uused the same, organic brown rice as usual.

shel

Its milk solids, and moisture. the high end butters don't have as much as run of the mill butters. This is very desirable when you want "brown" buttter for use on pasta etc. Gives the butter lots more flavor!I have been lamenting for several years that there is not enough of it in todays butter. Brown butter is a wonderful flavor,

Bud