• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Graphics in Food Packaging

maggiethecat

As a little girl, I thought the can of Lyle's Golden Syrup was as awe-inspiring as an illuminated manuscript. As a young matron those boxes of Godivas glittered like golden reliquaries. I check out the can of Clabber Girl every time I bake. There are boxes, bags and cans that I can admire as an aesthete as much as I love their contents.

My daughter brought us, at Christmas, a jar of sinus-clearing mustard from the legendary Philippe's in LA -- soi disant site of the birth of the French Dip sandwich. She said: "I didn't wrap it, because the bag is part of the present." How well she knows me. (The bag got rumpled in her luggage.)

gallery_6375_3224_100088.jpeg

Isn't that vernacular Art Moderne at its finest?

I'd love to hear about what food packaging is in your food product Louvre.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I really love the Effen Vodka bottles. The glass comes in about 1 mm at the label and the label itself is a thick rubber sleeve. The graphic design is a great example of "less is more". The black cherry (black label) is particularly striking to me.

"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance

I'm a sucker for iconic labels -- you know, the ones that have been the same as long as you can remember. I'm thinking Keen's Dry Mustard, Marmite, Magic Baking Powder -- the packaging itself may modernize but those logos remain.

PS tangent: Has anyone tried the new Marmite with Guinness? My SE got it for Christmas and I'm a little afraid...

Great topic Maggie !

The Coleman's dry mustard can.

The label on Crystal hot sauce.

The Szged paprika can.

The Oscar Meyer logo, even though I don't actually consume any of their products but bacon.

The Pom pomegranite juice bottles.

The Tanquery 10 gin bottles. So very sexy. (the gin ain't bad either !)

And my personal favorite.......very in tune with your homage a Moderne (same birthplace too).....*drumroll*.......the See's candy boxes and bags. And the stores, too. They're sort of packaging as well. Love the picture of Mary See, the black and white theme and the very very clean streamlined design.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Any other non-Asians ever go into an Asian supermarket and select unidentifiable foods just because the cartoon characters and brightly colored packages are totally cool? I love Japanese graphic package design most of all.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

Any other non-Asians ever go into an Asian supermarket and select unidentifiable foods just because the cartoon characters and brightly colored packages are totally cool? I love Japanese graphic package design most of all.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

Well, I buy smallgoods and cheese if I have never heard of it, or can't pronounce it, but I have so far refrained from buying brightly colored asian packets of stuff. I'm always suspicious it will contain dried prawns.

"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance

I like Rancho Gordo's labels and visitors to my home who see them always comment on them.

And I have a certain, inexplicable fondness for La Vache qui Rit as well (the graphics, not the product).

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Maggiethecat, that's an awesome bag. If you were in my boyfriend's family, you'd then save that bag and wrap someone's gift with it next year... and the next year... (it's a cute tradition, even though others might find it nutty to save interesting wrapping paper/packaging and reuse it).

For whatever reason I'm drawing a blank right now on specific food packaging graphics that I've really liked. I'm too distracted by the bag... the style is really up my alley.

Any other non-Asians ever go into an Asian supermarket and select unidentifiable foods just because the cartoon characters and brightly colored packages are totally cool?  I love Japanese graphic package design most of all.

Well I don't quite qualify as non-Asian, since my mom's Asian. But I can't read more than a few scattered words in Chinese, so I'm pretty much in the same boat. But yeah, I find that Japanese products - not just the ones with cute cartoon characters - tend to have the best graphic design. Then again, theirs is a culture with a whole industry built around the replication of food into non-edible but realistic forms. I kind of just take it for granted that they care a lot about presentation.

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Colman's, totally. You can see the tin here.

For those who've never seen it, here's a look at the Lyle's tin as well.

I have to nominate the classic Coca-Cola labels and curvy bottles.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

A subject of life-long interest.

Colman's tin is such perfection I have been unable to resist using the small ones to make beeswax votives for gifts in past years. Usually I keep the large size in stock, which I adore and worship beyond all reason because it is the perfectly proportioned blowup of the little one.

And MtheC the baking powder whose label I pay promiscuous attention to is Rumford. Sometimes I buy the cute little pillbox size at the health food store, but more often the still-not-giant one at Trader Joe's. I have been appreciating up close and personal-like Clabber Girl cornstarch however, supplied now in a recloseable canister with considerable graphic appeal.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

For a glimpse of classic Japanese food packaging at its most beautiful, check out Rona's Christmas in Japan thread. It's as about as far removed from my Philippe's bag as Audrey Hepburn to Tia Tequila, and brought back memories of the food gifts my daughter brought us from her trip to Japan. I didn't open them for a month -- I gazed --and saved every scrap of the wrapping paper.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com