• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants

debs

We went to the Painted Heron at 112 Cheyne Walk last night. It is a newish Indian Restaurant and it is probably the best Indian food any of us had ever had. Please everyone go because it's in a place where there is no passing trade and it really deserves to last!

I'd be suspicious too, but I'm actually a punter. It's just that the food was great. I've booked to go back in 2 weeks. Aubergine in in Park Walk which is a really busy street off the Fulham road, maybe you should buy an A to Z.

Okay. Well all the chutneys were different. Beet was one and garlic as well. It was much less harsh than the normal garlic chutneys. Can't remember the other one.

We had 4 starters. I has octpus with a root veg. and amazing spices. You can have everything as hot as you like. My husband had a wonderful very spicy chicken dish (sorry not to be more specific, but I didn't realise that I'd be doing this) Miles had crab pancake which everyone but me liked and Ann had spicy whole prawns. This isn't a throw everything into the middle and share restaurant, but we all tasted each others.

We had three veg. for the table a sort of cream of pea and lentil, a potato one and a non slimy okra. I had lamb shank which fell of the bone in a fabulous curry which was completely delicious. Two of them had chicken in green curry and cashews - wonderful and the 4th had a sort of creamy lamb dish. Each sauce or curry was entirely different - not that same old brown gunge. There were scallops in a hot south Indian curry that really tempted me and halibut with a cocunut based sauce. Rice, breads etc. all very good. the desserts were good too, but I can't remember what they were. The menu changes every day so the fish and everthing else is fresh, so if you go the menu won't be exactly the same. One of the people we went with lives near there and has been 4 or 5 times and he says that the quality and cooking have been excellent each time.

Apologies for the Cheyne/Park Walk mix up.

:rolleyes: You mean the Cheyne Walk just off The Kings Road (running parallel to it? This used to be home to Busabong Tree - a recommended Thai restaurant.

Now with the information you've provided it doesn't look so much like a plug for friends and looks more like a genuine recommendation. :biggrin:

I'd also suggest that if Fay Maschler has recommended it, it should stand a better that normal chance of survival. There are also several other plugs and reviews for it on the web and it is owned by people who have had sucess in the past (Tabla)Click here for Maschler review

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"