• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking on a Train

Carolyn Tillie

My boyfriend and I tried on Christmas Eve, preparing fondue during a trip from San Francisco to Reno...

Full account with pictures on my blog.

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

Wow! I am so impressed Carolyn! Not to mention really hungry and craving for the fondue and charcuterie in your pictures. Rock on! Looking forward to more train cuisine pics in your future travels. :)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Did Amtrack know you were cooking?

They provide wifi?

There is some speculation on whether or not the attendant knew what we were doing. He knew we had a full set-up of food as we turned down the lunch that comes with the train ticket. Not sure if he actually saw the hot plate but we did offer him a glass of Champagne (which he turned down).

Also, unsure on the wifi as we were utilizing a satellite phone connection for the internet (which we often do when we travel, just for security reasons as we run an ISP and need to know what is happening with our servers).

Completely fabulous.

You should come camping with us sometime....the possibilities are tantalizing.

One of the things my boyfriend kept suggesting was to do an over-the-top camping trip, hiking for hours to the middle of nowhere and then pulling out da bomb of a feast; Champagne, caviar, the makings and implements for fresh blini...

Completely fabulous.

You should come camping with us sometime....the possibilities are tantalizing.

One of the things my boyfriend kept suggesting was to do an over-the-top camping trip, hiking for hours to the middle of nowhere and then pulling out da bomb of a feast; Champagne, caviar, the makings and implements for fresh blini...

One of our most memorable feasts was a river trip. Everyone else pulled out a sandwich for lunch. We found a log, brought out the china and table cloth and laid out a feast that was fit for a king. Some dude tried to barter with us. He offered us a banana. :shock:

I've also been known to swim out to our dock with champagne glasses in my mouth. Not as easy as you might think. :laugh:

Nice blog by the way! I wondered what you had been up to. I often remember your wonderful wine blog here on eG.

Nice blog by the way! I wondered what you had been up to. I often remember your wonderful wine blog here on eG.

Thanks - I took a two-year hiatus and am now back at at, but am not limiting my writing to food and wine, but including art, theater, and those other "luxuries" which fulfill one's life.