• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brining Cooked Shrimp

zenpup

About 30 years ago while in college I worked for a caterer who used to brine cooked shrimp after cooking in a salt and ice -water bath for about 2 days ahead of service.

The shrimp were boiled, then quick chilled and packed in containers of ice -water and salt.

They were perfect even after 4 days of storage. Just the right amount of salt, firm, almost crisp, and "shrimpy"

I had written the recipe down, but made it so frequently, I thought I'd never forget the proportions. Well, now that I am well into middle aged, I've forgotten the proportions of salt to water and have since lost the paper.

Does anyone still do this? I'd appreciate any input. TIA!

I'd rather be making cheese; growing beets or smoking briskets.

For cold buffets, the way I cook and store shrimps(100 lbs. a week), I do not ice them after poaching. When I take them out of the court bouillon, they are still medium rare but they keep cooking as they cool.

The cooked shrimps are stored in the chilled court bouillon that the shrimps were cooked in and they will keep well for days. This method maintains that "crisp" texture and have deep shrimp flavour. Brining might just water down the delicate shrimp flavour.

Edited by Fugu (log)

So many of the shrimp I get now...generic frozen supermarket...seem too salty too begin with

We know the product has changed with all the farming, so taste first

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association