• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hmmmm....Griddle-Q = big french top for a Range?

bigcat39

I don't see where it's "A must have for the serious BBQ enthusiast". It does look like it would give you a restaurant style grill surface so you could cook things that you couldn't on a gas grill. By the same token you could just use a cast iron griddle from Lodge .

I think the heat build-up would damage the finish on your rangetop.

I don't think I buy that - I stretch a roasting pan across multiple burners all the time. Maybe not on high heat, but I've got a mega-cheap range, too. I think the enamel on most ranges is probably pretty temperature resistant. Aren't there cheaper solutions that this, though? And non-stainless-steel? As mentioned above, Lodge makes a cast-iron plate that spans multiple burners, and I bet there are others out there as well, in various, better-conducting materials.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Hmmm... as far as finish goes, this is a DCS, there inn't much in the way of finish there. According to the dimensions, this will handily span the left four burners. I find it attractive because of size. I have a Lodge griddle, makes it hard to cook like a mexican short order cook. I'm a taco buff, y'see.

Ya, cast iron to span four burners (with sides and a grease drip) would be great.... but I think I'd probably need an overhead crane to move it around

OK, I see what you're talking about. My concern is that it traps heat and holds it against the cooktop. I can see this working on a grill because the burner is well below the grate but I wonder how it would work directly over the burners. They need oxygen to work and I think you would have to make sure it was a couple of inches above the cooktop or at least sitting on the grates. If it fits completely over the grates and rests on the cooktop I think you'll have oxygen starvation problems. I'd call them and ask if it would work.