• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parents Visiting...suggestions?

Buechner

I moved to the city about a month ago. My parents are visiting over the holidays and I am trying to figure out a few places for dinner. They are open to trying new things, but I would also like a decent atmosphere (not too loud as my dad has a hard time hearing in places with bad acoustics.) I was thinking of either Tabla or the Bread Bar one night and not sure for the other; any opinions on Le Zie in Chelsea? I would appreciate any suggestions as well as which place to go, Bread Bar or Tabla. Have heard great things about both...does Tabla warrant the higer price?? I live in Flatiron and would like to eat around here or in the e./w. village.

Thanks,

Jenny

You certainly have a ton of choices. Any of the Danny Meyer establishments would be good and safe choices. Eleven Madison Park has probably received the most acclaim though Gramercy Tavern is not far behind. Tabla probably has more of the atmosphere that you want compared to Bread bar, though the difference there is probably not significant. If you are interested in Indian, another nearby place to consider is Devi.

For something totally different I would suggest heading over to the West Village to Perry Street or Soho for Fiamma or Tailor. Each of these places is uniquely creative. Perry Street incorporates the lean, balanced style of J-G Vongerichten. Fiamma brings an Italian sensibility to creative cooking and Tailor is simply a fun place for people who like to try new things.

I have assumed that budget is not a huge issue. While none of these places are cheap, they are reasonable by NY standards. I have only touched the tip of the iceberg. More specifics about your and your parents culinary proclivities and budget may help refine the search if you need more input. In the meantime, I suggest explore the individual restaurant topics on the NY Forum for a better idea of what is available that will meet your needs.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks docsconz...My parents are very easygoing, but also from the midwest. While they can definitely appreciate quality food, it is more important to me than them (one reason why I am in culinary school!) They like casual and not too "stuffy". I have done some searching, but would still appreciate any personal favorites or recommendations from others. As for Tabla vs. The Bread Bar I have heard great things about both and if the food is very comparable then I would choose Bread over the main room. Thoughts??

Also, I went to Portugal a few years ago and your suggestions were spot on! My travel companion still talks about the delicious food we ate...ahh, those sardinas assadas!!!

Thanks,

Jenny

Tailor isn't really for most parents, as much as I like the place.

Tabla v. Bread Bar are really different restaurants. BB is Indian food with a slightly American approach and good ingredients. Upstairs (Tabla proper) is New American through an Indian lens. Get the difference? I prefer upstairs. doc is right, though, any USHG spot is perfect for parents, as is lunch/brunch at Perry St. It's cheap enough that you can pick up the tab yet still treat them to a fantastic meal.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have heard great things about Tabla and BB; the cuisine at both sound good to my parents and myself. I am wondering if Tabla is that much better than Bread Bar given the price difference? Are the portions similar? Also, I am open to other suggestions for somewhere equal in quality and experience that would be enjoyable and "new" for my parents?

Thanks,

Jenny

My husband and I ate at Tabla last year for his birthday. We were completely underwhelmed. In fact, I can almost say that I didn't like it (and I'm not picky).

This year for his birthday (early December), we were talking about where we went last year, and we couldn't even remember.

As docsconz suggested, I much prefer Devi all around.

Thanks for the input. I have looked at the menus on-line and both look appealing. As I said, I am wondering more if it is really worth the price at Tabla. I will investigate Devi more and welcome any opinions. Also, as stated I am open to some other suggestions/opinions on some other places where people have had recent delicious meals.

Thanks,

Jenny

I am a huge fan of devi, I would strongly recommend it, they are executing at a level that even though they are serving adventurous Indian food, it can appeal to most palettes -

I think they'd also love Eleven Madison Park & the Modern - stellar setting, food, service

If you'd like to transport them to Tokyo, please do try Aburiya Kinnosuke. It's important that you dine somewhere where you cannot pronounce the name.

Now rethinking things and am interested in some suggestions for places that are not a 3-course prix-fixe meal. Tabla/Bread Bar are still within budget, but Eleven and Gramercy are pushing it. Also, can someone give me an idea of portion sizes at Tabla/Bread Bar?

Jenny

had a fantastic brunch at perry street sunday.

honestly, 2 courses, plus amuse bouche, plus dessert for $24? Unbeatable. Best lunch in the city for the price. Definitely take your parents there. I recommend the tomato soup and crab salad. Jean Georges for lunch is great too, similar deal but $28 for 2 plates with amuse and petits fours but no dessert included.

Now rethinking things and am interested in some suggestions for places that are not a 3-course prix-fixe meal.  Tabla/Bread Bar are still within budget, but Eleven and Gramercy are pushing it.  Also, can someone give me an idea of portion sizes at Tabla/Bread Bar?

Jenny

None of them are stricly prix fixe, those are just an option -

Thanks for the input everyone. One more quick question...I know they have different attmospheres, but would you choose Devi or Bread Bar? Also any suggestions on standout dishes at either place. Thanks again and happy holidays.

Jenny