• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sarah Bernhardts from Jespersen's in Scarsdale

pups224

Once upon a time, there was a bakery named Jespersen's in Scarsdale that made a most decadent cookie, named Sarah Bernhardts. They came in two sizes, 2" and 5". The 5" were the only ones to eat. They consisted of a crunchy outside, gooey inside almond macaroon, followed by a rich, chocolate ganache, covered by 1/8" of a dark chocolate glaze that if the cookie was cold, would crunch when you bit into it. There was a little almond on top.

The whole effect was, chocolate crunch, followed by soft, deep ganache, followed by crunchy outside, gooey inside almond macaroon. They were ethereal. The small ones were not crunchy enough and disappeard too fast.

Jespersen's disappeared along with the cookies. I and a childhood friend are looking to recreate them. Any help is welcome.

I have a vague memory of Sarah Bernhardt cookies in a cookbook from Rosie's Bakery (a Boston based company). Unfortunately I don't have the book to check it for you. They don't show the cookies on their website, but if you called, they might be able to tell you if they could ship them to you.

Rosie's Bakery