• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lardons in NYC?

Vinotas

I've been dying to get my hands on some lardons like I get when I'm in France.  Especially now that cassoulet season is approaching, I'd like to get the real stuff.  Thick-cut bacon just doesn't seem to do it.

Can anyone recommend any place to get them in NYC?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers!  :cool:

I thought lardons was just the way you cut the bacon.

Is using slab (not already sliced) and cutting it to size not a lardon? Or is a true lardon made from a different cured/smoked pork product?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I thought lardons was just the way you cut the bacon.

Is using slab (not already sliced) and cutting it to size not a lardon?  Or is a true lardon made from a different cured/smoked pork product?

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure, ergo the question. If it's just a matter of cutting a slab of bacon, then I'll head over to Grace's or Citarella or even better Florence Market and grab some.

But you may want unsmoked bacon - like pancetta or D'Artagnan's ventreche - also available in slabs for home cutting.

Which you can get at Dean & Deluca, Chelsea Market, and Schaller & Weber, to name a few. Citarella, definitely.

And, yes, lardons are just bacon cut a certain way. :smile:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Making lardons is pretty simple. I prefer a smoked slab bacon, but it does not have to be smoked. Cube a slab of bacon. Place in a sauce pot and cover with water. Cook over medium heat. Once the water evaporates, let the fat render away. Save the fat for frying your croutons.

Ryan Jaronik

Executive Chef

Monkey Town

NYC