• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question about butcher shops

There was an article on the Inquirer - IIRC in Table Talk - about the gentleman who used to have a steakhouse in Philadelphia and a high end butcher shop on this side of the Delaware (i.e. in NJ, around the Cherry Hill area). I believe the article - the most recent one I remember reading at least - mentioned that he was closing the steakhouse but keeping the butcher's.

I can't find it, though. Could someone shed some light and, perhaps, express their opinion on the quality of the goods sold, as well as any viable or recommended alternatives?

Edited by lfabio2007 (log)

You might be thinking of Arnold's Prime Meats. He has two locations, Rt. 38 in Cherry Hill and Rt. 561 in Cherry Hill (in the Centrum Shops, across from Winner Ford). His restaurant, now closed, was in Voorhees.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Mr. Dolan - thanks, I read that thread and I'm having a quiet conversation with my credit card. We'll see the result of that.

John - quite possibly that is the shop. Is it any good?

I've always been pleased with the quality of their meats (though I'm not quite sure that they're actually selling prime beef), but there's really nothing to compare them with. There aren't many butcher shops in the area. Ralph's, in Moorestown, is another good one. They're primarily a deli, but with a little butcher shop in the back.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.