• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where's hot in Houston right now?

fisherman

Hi everyone,

Travelling to Houston on Monday the 24th for a couple of weeks work, and will need to eat (reasonably) well while I'm there! Will be out for dinner most nights, and am not that cost conscious, I've never minded spending money on a good meal, one night we'll want to go out for something really special, so any specific recommendations for that night would be welcome too, but just want some good general thoughts please.

If it helps any, we're a British Television crew, so would prefer places that don't mind groups (There's six of us) rather than places full of couples dining a deux!

We will be staying in the area round the Hobby Airport if that gives anyone any clues on somewhere local, but we don't mind a cab ride.

Thanks in advance,

Jon.

Well, you being in Hobby sort of eliminates most of the "hot" spots. If you're willing to take an expensive 20 minute cab ride, you can hit downtown which has several decent restaurants that are attached to hotels like quattro at the four seasons, bank (which just got a new chef) at the Hotel Icon, and 17 at the Alden Hotel. Otherwise, you can go to Thelma's for some hefty bbq on Live Oak or Frenchy's for a long wait, and fried chicken at the University of Houston area. not exactly what you would call culinary centers, but just really good, comfort food. Further out the "hotter" spots are Reef in midtown, sort've a casual Texas Gulf cuisine sort of place, Brasserie Max and Julie on Richmond who strive to be a semi-authentic Parisian bistro with charcoute garni, roasted bone marrow and toast, steak au poivre, etc.

Hope this helps. What're you filming?

Yellow Cab The six of you can catch a cab downtown from the airport for $22 - $23 dollars. Once downtown (DT) you can catch a cab for $6 from destination to destination inside DT. I would have thought a film crew would have transportation but then you drive on the wrong side of the road so a cab would be safer. :wink: When you get tired of the glitz & glitter of DT ( which until a couple of years ago resembled Beirut) you might want to visit the The Ginger Man near Rice University for a pint.

( which until a couple of years ago resembled Beirut)

Actually it was nowhere near as nice as Beirut! Ever been there?

I also agree about the Flying Saucer, better beer (hundreds of them) and better looking waitresses.

For a nice posh dining experience, I've never yet been dissapointed with Mark's America Cuisine on Westheimer. I do hear very good things about 17 though...

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog