• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Veritas: New Wine Bar in DuPont

Busboy

Popped into Veritas, the new wine bar on Connecticut and Florida last night, to have a little swirl, sniff and spit (swallow, actually). It's only been open for a couple of days so things can change, but...

Veritas is a nice little candlelit room, sparse, clean-lined, lots of black and white, just about the right size to wrap around yourself, occupied by slightly more than a handful of people mostly more beautiful than me when I walked in. Nice wine list (see link above) but it felt a little pricey to my accomplice and me. If you drink as fast as I do, you can drop a bundle fast, especially as the pours seemed a light -- my friend and I were guessing 4 ounces or so -- and as the wines by the glass seem expensive compared to the bottled stuff. I'd be curious to hear what more experienced winos think.

Veritas has no regular menu. Instead, it has an extensive cheese list and offers a variety of charcuterie. Like the wines, the cheeses are available in themed flights: you might try pairing "apples and oranges" (Hook's Cheddar from Wisconsin; Tilston Point Blue, also from Wisconsin; and a Dutch Farmer's Gouda,) with "m&m&m's" (Trapich Malbec; Selby Merlot, and Swanson Merlot. I didn't feel like flying, but a McKinley Springs Chenin Blanc and a Chehalem Pino Noir -- among the wines I tried -- provided a bit of lift.

I'm not sure I'm cut out to be a regular there, but it seems a good place to stop when I'm ready to get a little elegance on -- and in need of a little Roussanne,

(Note: There's no way around the fact that the bread came with the cheese just sucked with a suckiness that overshadowed the fermented curd. It may be a telling detail, but 'm hoping it's just a temporary arrangement until a contract with a real baker can be inked.)

Veritas

2031 Florida Avenue NW

Washington, DC

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Popped into Veritas, the new wine bar on Connecticut and Florida........... but it felt a little pricey to my accomplice and me.

Charles: thanks so much - it sounds like a place to get a quick bite near where I'll be stuck. But I'm not sure what pricey means in terms of both a glass of wine or a plate of cheese or charcuterie.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris