• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Organic Mango Pudding

Cookwithlove

I am trying to help a friend create a recipe for Organic Mango Pudding which means I can't use gelatine(animal product). Look like I will have to puree fresh mango or buy ready made puree, the natural fruit is not sweet enough probable have to use organic brown sugar, London gold 35% cream(I need some advice here regarding abt organic whipped cream without using animal fat and the natural mango colour is not good enough)

Thanks for sharing and take care!

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

You may be confusing organic with vegan. Perhaps she wants to make an organic pudding, but she is a vegan? In that case, she wouldn't want to use cream, butter, eggs, or gelatin.

Are you referring to the classic British definition of pudding - as a dessert? Or do you mean what an American would call a pudding - something like a curd, or custard, or pastry cream?

If you are looking for a custard/curd/pastry cream type of thing and your friend is not a vegan, you don't need any gelatin at all. I don't know of any (American) puddings that require gelatin. You can make a mango custard or curd or (American) pudding with eggs, butter, sugar, and/or cream, and mango. As long as all of the ingredients are certified organic, your pudding will be organic.

If you need a vegan pudding, someone else will need to help you!

Good luck.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

agar agar is a gelling agent which might have the wrong texture result for a "pudding". when set, agar products have an almost crunchy texture very unlike gelatin's smoothness.

if you're looking to make a soft pudding, as etalanian mentions, you can even make something similar to pastry cream thickened with some sort of vegetable starch like cornstarch, potato starch or tapioca starch.

Mango, butter and xantham makes a mighty fine pudding.

Just blend the room temp butter into the mango puree, mount it with a bit of xantham (maybe 5:100 parts), season and chill.

If you wanted more body and richness, I'd whip 210f syrup into yolks, then fold in the mango puree and whipped cream.

Edited by Sethro (log)