• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexpensive but Decent Sushi for Non-Foodies

feedmec00kies

Ok, so my sister's friend's birthday is next week, and they're going to get together for dinner to celebrate. She turned to me for help, because the first thing she thought of that would be appropriate (Minado - they call themselves "The Ultimate Sushi Buffet" :laugh:) no longer exists in Manhattan.

Here are the guidelines:

- The boy likes sushi, so they're looking for sushi. He's not extremely picky; he likes the sushi they sell at his college, which is along the lines of store-bought sushi (I won't criticize that fact too much; I've been there, where it was one of the only things I could eat using my mandatory college meal plan without feeling absolutely disgusting, especially when I was still a pesco-vegetarian. Ok, moving on....).

- They want something in Manhattan, because it's the most accessible transportation-wise for everyone.

- They're poor music students, so the more possible "bang for their buck", the better (AYCE that's decent would be excellent). Obviously, the "best of" thread for sushi in NY can't help me here.

- At least one person (my sister, who is discerning about food) will care about the quality, so obviously she wants me to find somewhere fresh. Otherwise, she says none of her friends are that picky, so "the masses" should think the place at least beyond passable (and if they find it great, that's even better!).

- It needs to be good for a group (7-8 people).

Thanks for any information you might have! :smile:

(Edited for wording, b/c I'm neurotic)

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

easy answer...Minado was simply replaced by an identical Korean chain restaurant in the same location (with the same setup and same dishes).

the salads and hot dishes are actually decent enough...and there's copious amounts of the same sushi and sashimi as Minado.

edit: I think it's called Todai or something like that. I was there last week (not a lot of lunch options around Penn Station).

Edited by Nathan (log)

update: I brought up the matter of price - these "sushi buffets" aren't cheap, if you don't eat that much and go for dinner - and they're trying to figure out what her birthday-celebrating-friend wants to do (if it's just dinner or a movie also).

So I'm probably going to need some good non-AYCE places more likely... but thanks for your response, Nathan! They might go with it after all... I have no idea at this point. :smile:

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

eG Ethics Signatory

We've been frequenting Esashi on Avenue A (between 2nd and 3rd) for almost 4 years now. Even better that it is within stumbling distance of both PDT and D&C!

Low frills - very good and very fresh fish, Japanese owner and sushi chef...very reasonably priced - sushi combo for 2 is something like $36.

They also have bentos and stuff for the sushi-challenged.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I've heard good thing about Esashi.

but if the $15-20 pp pricetag of Todai is too much....

Yes, that will be problematic - or just eat a lot of rolls. They have some pretty good ones on their special's list!

It's funny, for as longer as we've been going, and sitting at the sushi bar, we've never ordered omikase, but I've seen it served to Japanese customers and it looks good. Hmmm...

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I just checked Menu Pages - they do two inexpensive assortments:

Regular 7 Pcs Assorted Sushi ( Tuna, Salmon, White Tuna, Fluke, Sawara Flying Fish Roe and Yellowtail) and One Tuna Roll 15.00

Deluxe 10 Pcs Assorted Sushi (regular Plus Shrimp, Tuna and Salmon Roe and One California Roll 19.00

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Yeah, if they were going for lunch at Todai it would be one thing, but they can't go until dinner because they have classes during the day... and weeknight dinner (they're going on Tuesday) is 26 dollars.

So under 20 per person is ok (it is sushi after all), but Todai for dinner (including tax) is pushing it a bit for most of them, because only 2 of the group eat that much.

I actually found something (barely anything, though) on the NYT site on Esashi, and it sounded good, but I couldn't tell. I'll let them know about that suggestion.

eG Ethics Signatory

The nice thing about an AYCE restaurant is that the cost is well regulated. You don't have to worry that the budget will spiral out of control because a few loose cannons ordered out of bounds.

There may not be anything in Manhattan that's cheap enough to satisfy the group, however East Buffet in Flushing is right on the 7 line and has an incredible assortment of stuff including, every time I've been, a large assortment of sushi. Monday-Thursday it's $13.99 per person. I believe that includes soda and bubble tea in unlimited quantities. On the weekend nights it's $2 more. They add 15% service. It's a very festive and fun place for a birthday.

And . . . if you go to the East Buffet website -- http://www.eastbuffet.us/ -- and you register, you can print up a coupon that's supposed to be good for $4 off per person at dinner, for a group of up to 10 people.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We've been frequenting Esashi on Avenue A (between 2nd and 3rd) for almost 4 years now. Even better that it is within stumbling distance of both PDT and D&C!

Low frills - very good and very fresh fish, Japanese owner and sushi chef...very reasonably priced - sushi combo for 2 is something like $36.

They also have bentos and stuff for the sushi-challenged.

I'll second Esashi as being good value. However, Esashi is a place that foodies appreciate as being good value, but will seem like regular price or expensive to those who aren't serious sushi eaters, as the upgrade in quality will be lost on them.

The biggest concern with cheap sushi is, of course, safety, so you can't go TOO low end. I have a hunch that they'll be very happy at Sandobe or Jeollado in the East Village...same owners for both, I believe, although Jeollado has a cooler looking space. They're both VERY cheap but still more than decent enough to eat, and might fit the bill better based on what you're describing. They also have more of a fun atmosphere, since the solemnity of serious sushi bars if often just boring to younger folk. Their menu is set up so that you get double quantities when you order most stuff, effectively making it all "half price".

For the record, I'm against cheap sushi on principle...it's something that should be discouraged at every turn. (You could also go in search of the best 400 lb. jockey you could find, but it kind of defeats the purpose of trying to win a race. But there comes a point when you just find another means of transport.) I considered making this post under another screenname, so as not to compromise my credibility as a judge of serious sushi:)

Edited by LPShanet (log)

what about Zen on St. Mark's? (I think they have a place on Avenue A as well.)

I've never tried their sushi...but some of their izakaya items and ramen are adequate (I didn't say it was good!)....and it's quite cheap (with very very cheap Sapporo after 10 PM!)

I considered making this post under another screenname, so as not to compromise my credibility...

Hehehe, believe me, there was a second where I speculated the effect to my credibility in general when I posted this question. :wink:

Thanks Fat Guy. East Buffet is definitely something that would work for them I think, but I'm not sure how easy it will be for them to go there. They're all students at Brooklyn College (though they all live in different areas), so with NYC public transportation as it is in the "outer boroughs" and the variation in where they all live, it would be a real PITA for most of them to go outside of Manhattan for dinner.

LPShanet: Yeah, the main reason I asked for this information is because, as you said, "The biggest concern with cheap sushi is, of course, safety, so you can't go TOO low end." My sister figured I could get some more information to help them avoid anything really sketchy, since she (if no one else) is concerned about it. She'd probably be happy with Esashi, but 1. she's a foodie too (same parents, after all!), and 2. she is more willing and able to spend more if it's worth it/necessary. I think the group is probably willing to spend more since it's somewhat of a special occasion, but they do seem to want to try and keep it within reason.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll pass the info on to my sister.

(edited for grammar)

eG Ethics Signatory