• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Street Nuts (when you're not in NYC)

MarkIsCooking

Help me out eGulleteers!

I just LOVE those almonds from the Nuts4Nuts rolling carts around NYC. How can I make these at home? If you know, please tell.

-mark-

Edited by MarkIsCooking (log)

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Try these:

Iced Almonds

1 c whole almonds, blanched if desired

1/2 c sugar

2 T butter

1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

3/4 tsp salt

Heat almonds, sugar, and butter in a heavy skillet. Stir until almonds are toasted and sugar turns golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Spread nuts on foil and sprinkle with salt. Let cool, then break apart.

I have never been to NYC, but vendors at the fairs around here sell cinnamon sugared almonds and pecans.

I replicated the recipe by mixing up some cinnamon and sugar. I tossed the nuts and sugar together in a heavy bottomed pan until the sugar melted and coated the nuts. I can't give you quantities, because I added more cinnamon sugar as the process went along, until the coating was as thick as I wanted.

They were very good, the almonds better than the pecans, which sort of got too toasted in the process.

sparrowgrass