• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Quick hits

Florida Jim

With assorted cheeses:

2006 Drystack Cellars, Sauvignon Blanc Rosemary’s Block:

As always, a distinctive, full flavored wine with a solid mineral underpinning and no cat pee or grassy smells and flavors. Tropical but with cut.

1959 Hospice de Nuits St. Georges, Nuits St. Georges 1’er Cru:

Beef broth, celery, and soy on the nose with only a hint of fruit; more fruit on the palate which is pillowy in the mouth but still well structured; medium length finish. A wine that changed in the glass over the course of the evening but did not fall off. More intellectual than hedonistic but I’m very glad to have had the chance.

With tomato and mozzarella salad:

2003 Emidio Pepe, Trebbiano d’Abruzzo:

Quite oxidized on the nose but some of that seems to disappear over time; strongly flavored with good cut and intensity – right now, more a curiosity than a delight. But very good with insalata caprese.

With steak and mushrooms, etc.:

1986 Laurel Glen, Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Mountain:

Fell short of several previous bottles but still delivered an aged cabernet profile and good structure. Too bad; when this is on, it is exceptional.

2002 Allemand, Cornas:

So very Cornas and so very Allemand. So this is a ‘bad’ vintage, eh? Hah!

1998 Dom. Tempier, Bandol:

Every time I have a wine from this producer I wonder why I do not own more. Salty, meaty, full flavored wine with sustain, balance and character. Superb.

After dinner:

1994 Fonseca, Vintage Port:

Very, very young and primary (almost a barrel sample) but packed, stuffed and otherwise crammed with flavors and lip-smacking deliciousness. Hold.

Many thanks to Steve and Barb for entertaining me while I ‘batch it.’

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com