• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soda Syrup?

Dante

Does anyone out there know of a source for soda syrup (as in that which is mixed with selzer for soda fountains) for the private individual, as opposed to souces for professional restaurants?

Sincerely,

Dante

the flavored syrups they use at coffee bars are good for sodas also

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

What Tracey said. I often see these in liquor stores, high-end groceries and, of all places, TJ Maxx and the like.

When I was a kid, you could buy Coca-Cola syrup at the drug store as a remedy for stomach ailments. Maybe you still can?

ETA: depending on where you are, there might be an independent bottler who makes private-label soft drinks. They'd be more approachable than one of the huge mass-market bottlers.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Most soda syrup is sold in 5 gallon bag-in-a-box. You should be able to buy those from any restaurant supply such as GFS.

However, you can make soda pop using soda flavorings, dextrin, and carbonated water. Both the flavorings (3 oz bottles) and the dextrin are available at beer home brewing shops.

Edit to add this link: http://www.leeners.com/sodapop.html

Edited by ChefCrash (log)

Does anyone out there know of a source for soda syrup (as in that which is mixed with selzer for soda fountains) for the private individual, as opposed to souces for professional restaurants?

Sincerely,

Dante

You don't give any hint as to your location. Here in Calif. Smart & Final carries the complete line of Torani syrups as well as Coke syrup in the cartons as mentioned above.

There are other suppliers who sell to small mom and pop businesses and have the syrups used for snow cones in gallong jugs.

Google snow cone supplies, shave ice supplies, Hawaiian shave ice supplies, etc., for your area.

Here's one in NC: Hawaiian shave ice supplies

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

What Tracey said. I often see these in liquor stores, high-end groceries and, of all places, TJ Maxx and the like.

yeah- that I can do for Italian and/or French soda, and that's useful for me. Thank you and thanx to Tracey too! :smile:

but...

When I was a kid, you could buy Coca-Cola syrup at the drug store as a remedy for stomach ailments. Maybe you still can?

this was more what I was looking for. We have a real old-style drug store (that is to say, not yeet absorbed by Eckerd or Rite-aid) in one of the neighboring towns, so I may check there. good tip- thanx!

ETA: depending on where you are, there might be an independent bottler who makes private-label soft drinks. They'd be more approachable than one of the huge mass-market bottlers.

yeah- and we've got a couple of those up here too. "Micro Sodas" they call themselves.

Sincerely,

Dante

Most soda syrup is sold in 5 gallon bag-in-a-box. You should be able to buy those from any restaurant supply such as GFS.

yeah- I had thought that that was the route I needed to take. I don't know that I'd use enough to justify a 5 gallon bag, tho, so I'd wondered if more managable sources existed.

However, you can make soda pop using soda flavorings, dextrin, and carbonated water. Both the flavorings (3 oz bottles) and the dextrin are available at beer home brewing shops.

Hmmmm...there's a thought, and the local health-food store does carry brewing supplies.

Edit to add this link: [url=http://www.leeners.com/sodapop.html]http://www.leeners.com/sodapop.html

Hmm...interesting. Thanx! Couple of the local brew-pubs also make their own root-beers...

Sincerely,

Dante

Here you go:

<snip link>

My favorite brand as they're made with real fruit and sugar.

an added bonus...

You can look around the site for diet versions as well.

kewl! Thanx very much! :smile:

Sincerely,

Dante

You don't give any hint as to your location.

no, I didn't. Sorry. :wacko:

New Hampshire.

Here in Calif. Smart & Final carries the complete line of Torani syrups as well as Coke syrup in the cartons as mentioned above.

'kay. After all the links and such everyone else has so kindly provided me with, cola's the only one left on my list.

There are other suppliers who sell to small mom and pop businesses and have the syrups used for snow cones in gallong jugs.

Google snow cone supplies, shave ice supplies, Hawaiian shave ice supplies, etc., for your area.

thanks ftor the tip. shall do.

Sincerely,

Dante