• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Phila Weekly Restaurant Critic "Misconduct"

Holly Moore

In this week's Philadelphia Weekly restaurant review, critic Brian McManus describes Misconduct's hamburger as "simply divine."

Even Florence Fabricant, sporting Dolly Levi's favorite Easter bonnet (admittedly, a very screwed up metaphor) would think twice before uttering the terms "simply divine." But a guy writing about burgers?

This reviewer of restaurant reviewers urges Mr. McManus to retreat into his Thesaurus or reruns of the Man Show and come up with a better description for a good burger.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Those following the Weekly's restaurant reviews over the summer will have noticed that McManus is rarely at a loss for words, usually deploying them fairly creatively in what have mostly been amusingly savage pans of places he's found pretentious or lacking. If I understand it, he's a music writer, subbing on the food beat temporarily, so there may not be many more reviews to deconstruct...

In his critique of Ortlieb's, he uses the phrase "aching with spice" and then promptly mocks himself for doing so. I didn't detect the same post-modern irony in his use of "Simply divine," and it does sound a little odd in 2007, in reference to a burger, but I thought his tale of trying to get the lunch special was pretty funny...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Before anyone points it out.  Yeah, I'm a guy named Holly.  But that's different.

hmmm, forgive an impertinent question: were your parents writing on deadline when they came up with that name?

Dad put it this way:

``Now you just fought one hell of a fight And I know you hate me, and you got the right To kill me now, and I wouldn't blame you if you do. But ya ought to thank me, before I die, For the gravel in ya guts and the spit in ya eye Cause I'm the son-of-a-bitch that named you `Holly.'''
Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

If this guy decides he wants to write restaurant reviews on an ongoing basis, maybe I should start reading PW again.

My take on the lavender-scented adjectival phrase is that McManus is a John Waters fan and was commenting on the burger's dress(ing); the copy editors simply forgot to capitalize the D. We can allow that, can't we?

Now I gotta go back through the archives and read his pans. I clearly have been missing something.

Then I gotta go over to Misconduct and have the "lunch burger".

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Purple prose aside, what's up with the strange pricing, secret deals on different days, secret ordering code and the clueless staff? That burger better be divine if it takes that much work to get it to me at the price quoted on the menu. And a ten-effing-dollar lemonade better have some high end hooch in it or be made from yuzu fruits hand squeezed by Dhali-Lamas-in-training or that's just criminal. Period.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Personally, I kind of like the new guy. He's amusing at least. Many times I contemplated writing into "I love you, I hate you" to rant about Kirsten Henri. If you managed to bore your way through all of her adjectives (column written with thesaurus in hand, no doubt), then you would ultimately find that she made all of her opinions based on the price of the meal. Cheap eats = 5 stars. Expensive = 1 star, with rare exceptions.

One time for a column she just went around the city looking at the prices of chicken dishes and writing them down! Look it up.

The other thing I like about the new guy is that he (or somebody) is picking more obscure places, that might not have been reviewed elsewhere. He did an asian place in southwest philly, misconduct, ortlieb's, etc. To me, it's more appealing to read something fresh than, for example, a fifth take on tinto.

Personally, I kind of like the new guy. He's amusing at least. Many times I contemplated writing into "I love you, I hate you" to rant about Kirsten Henri. If you managed to bore your way through all of her adjectives (column written with thesaurus in hand, no doubt), then you would ultimately find that she made all of her opinions based on the price of the meal. Cheap eats = 5 stars. Expensive = 1 star, with rare exceptions.

Ten points for the double entendre. Twenty if it was unintentional, as I suspect.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I haven't decided whether I've forgiven McManus for "The ceiling is fitted with tiny patches of the sort of material sails are made of."

At this point in the review, I stopped thinking about burgers because my mind did this:

Wow, is that awkward.

And, uh, wouldn't that be canvas?

Oh, perhaps he's referencing synthetic cloth and isn't sure what it's called.

Yeah, that's called..."sailcloth."

Google is your friend.