• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Australian scientists sniff out

Don Giovanni

Australian scientists sniff out wine's peppery aroma

This is a great breakthrough as we get to learn more about what we taste in a wine...

Click On Me

The compound, known as alpha-ylangene, is so powerful that a single drop is enough to make an entire Olympic-size swimming pool smell peppery, institute researcher Mango Parker told a wine industry conference.

Australian scientists sniff out wine's peppery aroma

This is a great breakthrough as we get to learn more about what we taste in a wine...

Click On Me

The compound, known as alpha-ylangene, is so powerful that a single drop is enough to make an entire Olympic-size swimming pool smell peppery, institute researcher Mango Parker told a wine industry conference.

More info...

More info on

After several years working away in a laboratory in Adelaide, a team of Australian wine scientists has discovered the precise chemical compound that makes a shiraz taste peppery.

Click On Me