• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday Dinner.

OrlandoMan

Every year on my birthday my wife and I like to celebrate by dining at an extraordinary resaurant that we've never tried before. For this year, Aug. 18, we'd like some suggestions, limited to the Orlando metro area. Please EXCLUDE any places we've already experienced on birthday's past, which include: Emeril's, Victoria and Alberts, Primo, Manuel's on the 28th, Wolfgang Puck's, and Portobello Yacht Club. Three times we dined out of town, including last year, when we ate at Cafe Baulaud (West Palm), Bern's Steak House (Tampa), and on my 40th at The Wild Boar (Nashville). Some places where we had past birthday dinners are now closed, such as Maison Jardin, and Arthur's 27. Also, please exclude places we have eaten before on other days, including California Grill, The Capital Grille, Season's 52, Fulton's Crabhouse, Del Frisco's, Kres Chophouse, Linda's La Cantina, Palm Restaurant, Chatham's, Coq Au Vin, Chez Vincent, and Bahama Breeze. Also, I have an allergy to all seafood, so any place that is primarily seafood would be out. Now, if I haven't lost you already, please recommend what you think would be the best experience for my birthday this year, a place that you have personally tried and enjoyed, and felt it was worth the money!

• 2 weeks later...
I note that you have dined outside your metro area in the past. Are you willing to travel about the state, or would you prefer to stay closer to home?

We're staying in Orlando. In fact, I was getting so few responses, until yours, that I decided to email Scott Joseph, the Orlando Sentinel restaturant critic, for advice. Last year he guided us to Cafe Baulaud. He responded quickly, and we emailed back and forth. I was debating between Norman's, The Venetian Room, Doc's, or Luma on Park. It turns out that The Venetian Room is closed for a few weeks during my birthday, and, in the end, we decided on Luma on Park. Any comments on that? Scott Joseph recommended them because he said their new chef is doing a great job there.