• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oddball TNs - Wine & Beer

GordonCooks

I’ve been lazy note taker this year but these were some interesting wines we had last night at our monthly “Singles” night. We bring whatever we feel like – no theme, set menu, etc…just drink what’s in front of you, and eat.

2002 Belles Soeurs - Ana Vineyard – A little stink in the nose that blew off. Good acid and dark fruit mixed with strawberry/cranberry. Brickish and light in color, smoky mineral with a silky texture (and just a hint of soy sauce) I say cranberry because there was this hint of tart sourness – not prominent or a defect.

2005 Radio Couteau – La Neblina – Dark and Ruby in color, superb balance in nose and flavor. Prominent dark fruit with sweet spice. Silky tannins, so young and so balanced, not going to wait for these to get better.

2001 Betts & Scholl Hermitage – I guess the grapes are sources from Chave Vineyards, would love a side-by-side comparison. Full and lush with velvety tannins and dark pitted fruits, leather, dirt, and mocha. Didn’t detect any of the florals I vaguely recall in the 01 JL but for price, who’s complaining

Dogfish Head Red and White – It’s a Belgian style Wit bier fermented with the raw juice of pinot noir grapes. Not sure of the blending or the style but it was tasty. A grainy nose accented by the Pinot fruit. The flavor comes across as light pinot but no inherent sweetness. I may have expected a Lambic in style (maybe too sweet for beer aficionados) but I thought it was balanced and veeery drinkable.

Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA – Like dessert wine, toasted grain and PX Alvear Solera sherry. It’s so rich, I don’t think I could get through another bottle.