• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine ratings

Florida Jim

There are a myriad of wine rating systems; numbers, letters, puffs, stars and the odd catch phrase. None of them are my cup of tea and none of them are going away.

As an alternative, I think I’ll start/steal one.

Mine will focus on how a wine goes with a dish or meal that I’m eating. BTW, this not original; I credit on-line personality SFJoe with the idea; a recent post of his got me to thinking; he said that the only real ‘rating’ that means anything is how any wine goes with the food your eating. I agree with him.

Hopefully, by thinking primarily of how the wine goes with the food and trying to put that into words, I will become more attuned to the pairing. I do it every evening at dinner so I should certainly be able to explain why I pick what I do once I know what Diane is cooking and, together, both she and I should be able to say if it worked or not and why.

Please, bear with me while getting started; in a couple of years I should be more sensitive to matching than I was to begin with, but from here on, almost all of my notes will be focused on the pairing of wine and food.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Great idea, Jim!  What kind of rating system will you use?  Cigar Aficionado uses four 'puffs' (for their wine ratings), some newspapers award 'stars' . . . too bad we don't have a little 'munching' emoticon just for you . . .

You really know how to hurt a guy. :wink:

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com