• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you make an Emulsion!?!?!

awbrig

but wasn't steve klc's

"...smaller versions of the blender with whipping disk in department stores - people are using them to froth milk for espressos and cappuccinos."

the right gadget? and dirt cheap, at that.

incidentally, maybe I'm being dense, but why on earth would anyone want *cold* frothed milk on their cappucino?

i want you all to know that i certainly wouldn't. :wink: but the gadget is dirt cheap, anyway !

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

You could warm the milk first, then froth it . . . just a thought. I have a cheap "frother" which is basically a glass beaker with a frother attachment on the top. It looks something like a french press. You push the little screen/frother attachment up and down quickly and it "froths" the milk. It's very cheesy - but it does froth milk. I warm the milk first because cold froth on hot beverages seems wrong. My kids like to drink steamers and I mostly use it for that.

I have the Bamix Gastro. It's great, but I should have realised that it's designed for larger quantities than I typically make at home. Once you've got enough product that the blending head is fully immersed and there is room for the liquid to flow over it, it works beautifully. But the head itself is very large, so it is ineffective with smaller quantities. There is a disc mixing head, a disc whipping head (which has holes in it to incorporate air into mixtures) and a "blending" head for making purees. It doesn't come with a beaker, as the Baxmix home models do.

I have a Bamix (love it), though I think it might be the home model. I was under the impression that the whipping head was the disk without any holes in it, but I haven't really used it to froth yet. Am I wrong?

I have the Bamix Gastro. It's great, but I should have realised that it's designed for larger quantities than I typically make at home. Once you've got enough product that the blending head is fully immersed and there is room for the liquid to flow over it, it works beautifully. But the head itself is very large, so it is ineffective with smaller quantities. There is a disc mixing head, a disc whipping head (which has holes in it to incorporate air into mixtures) and a "blending" head for making purees. It doesn't come with a beaker, as the Baxmix home models do.

Thanks - I've ordered the model below that (the "deluxe") and shall report back.

Shall perhaps keep my current cheapo blender for small scale cooking.

I have a Bamix (love it), though I think it might be the home model. I was under the impression that the whipping head was the disk without any holes in it, but I haven't really used it to froth yet. Am I wrong?

The Bamix instruction leaflet isn't helpful here.

The "mixer" (mistakenly called the whisk in the English translation of the instructions; it's called the "mélangeur" in the French and Quirl in the German) is the one without the holes. It's for sauces, mayonnaise, and other emulsions.

The "whip" ("fouet" in French, Schalgscheibe in German, mistakenly translated "beater") is the one with the holes -- for incorporating air into mixtures and making them light. It's for eggwhites, cream, frothing millk, etc. You use it to monter au beurre or for anything that you want to make fluffy and light.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

OK, I just dug out the box that my Bamix came in and on the back it has photos of all the attachments with captions of what they are used for (in 9 languages). Under the flat disk with no holes it says: "Whips: cream and egg whites", and in the booklet it says "Aerator: the 'A' blade aerates, whips, beats mousse, egg-white and whips cream and skim milk into whipped topping". Under the photo of the disk with holes it says: "Whisks: creams and mayonnaise", and in the booklet: "Blender: The purpose of the 'B' blade is to beat and stir. use it for drink mixes, gravies, soups, sauces, mashed potatoes, mayonnaise, batters and puddings".

Again, I haven't used it to whip anything into a foam, but this is what my box and instructions say.