• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ready for drinking?

Matthew Grant

I have a few bottles laying down that I'm wondering whether to drink now.

Will any of them be suitable for drinking yet or will they definitely need a few more years, any tasting notes appreciated:

Wolf Blass - Black Label 1997

Wynn's Coonawarra Estate - 'Michael' 1996

Chateau D'Armailhac 1995

Paul Jaboulet Aine - Hermitage 'Le Pied de la Cote' 1997

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Matthew - 1995 Bordeauxs are drinking really well right now so I'm sure you can drink the Chateau D'Armailhac now if you want to. I've had a few recent experiences with 1995 Lynch Bages and it was drinking great. But I would say a wine of that breed will be at it's peak between 2005-2008. As for the Jaboulet, I haven't had it. I've had the La Chapelle from that vintage and given where that wine was at the time I'd say 2004-2006. Can

t help you with the Aussies.

Matthew - in regards to the Australian wine, both of those wines types are massively oaked, so very strong vanilla flavours predominate when they are young. The Wynn's sometimes can taste of "coconut" due to the oak loading. It comes down to personal preference, I'm not sure what yours is (:shock: ), I prefer the aged reds, so I wouldn't touch them until they are 8-10 years old. The primary fruit will have died down and the secondary flavours will have kicked in and (hopefully) have tamed the oak.