• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Trip: First Week of July

Jesikka

Dave H and I are taking a trip to California the first week of July. Although we haven't planned many details, here's what we know:

We are flying into Orange County and spending two nights with my family there. We'll spend the next night (Monday) in LA with my cousin. After that, we were thinking maybe a night in either Santa Barbara or Pasa Robles and then a night in Monterey. We have to be in Los Gatos by Thursday for our reservation at Manresa, at which point we'll head to San Francisco. We have dinner reservations for Sunday at Chez Panisse. We may spend a night in Napa or Sonoma at some point. We'd like to get to Ad Hoc. We're leaving Monday.

We'd like to go to as many wineries as makes sense along the way and during the week. Neither of us knows a ton about wine tourism in California, though Dave H knows a good amount about California wines.

Can you make suggestions that fit within our parameters? We'd definitely like to know wineries with great value and less on the radar screen, as well as big name wineries that actually do tours/tastings (most don't seem to). I don't need to see a billion vineyards- I've seen a lot of vineyards already. We're also looking for great ethnic and cheap eats along the way.

Have at it- thanks.

WOW!!! Big itinerary...BIG STATE!!!!!!!

The way I read it, you are flying in on a Saturday, and leaving the next (a week) Monday.

Lots of territory...so little time!!

I can address a couple of areas, and I'm sure other members will fill in the blanks.

If you are driving up Hwy 1 from Paso Robles to Monterey, I'd recommend lunch (if the timing works) at Ventana Inn, just south of Big Sur. Most of the wineries in the Monterey area are in Carmel Valley, which is an easy drive as you come up from Big Sur.

You've made a WONDERFUL choice with Manresa...it should be the crowning meal of your trip.

With only one night to devote to both Napa & Sonoma, I'd find myself hard pressed to even begin to make any recs..

Ad Hoc is in Yountville (8 miles north of Napa...8 miles south of St. Helena), and if that is your agreed-upon destination, make sure you make your res ahead of time. If you're doing a day trip from The City, you could visit a few wineries in the Napa Valley (Silverado Trail would be preferred), and then have dinner. You have to realize you're trying to cram in about 2 months (minimum) of activities in somewhere at or under 10 days.

I'm not an expert, but I do split my time between the Napa Valley and the Santa Clara Valley (home of Manresa), so if I can be of any further help, please PM me.

ETA: If you are in Carmel overnight, I'd recommend Bouchee for dinner. If you want to drive into Carmel Valley, you can't beat Marinus at Bernardus Lodge!!

Edited by samgiovese (log)

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

If you are planning to take the scenic, but very winding, Coast Highway 1 to Los Gatos, you should plan on it taking about 4 hours from the junction of Hwy 46 West and Hwy 1, plus a stop for lunch at Nepenthe. It will take half of your Thursday just to get there, but the coast highway is a sight not to be missed. You may also enjoy a morning tour at the Hearst Castle in San Simeon before you hit the road . . . it's right on Hwy. 1. If you spend the night at the Cavalier in San Simeon you can get an early start on your day.

Otherwsie, from Paso to Carmel is only 2 hours on Highway 101, which parallels the coast but is farther inland.

Santa Barbara and Paso Robles are 2 hours apart on Hwy. 101, so you and your friend will want to decide if you prefer to visit pinot noir and chardonnay producers in Sideways country, or do zins and Rhones in Paso Robles . . .

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook