• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian/Alphonso Mangoes in PA

Diann

I've been reading about the "king of mangoes" various places and am really curious to know what they're like. (Apparently the Alphonsos are way better than the Tommy Atkins/Haden varieties we're used to eating in the U.S.) Does anyone know where I can get my hands on some?

I was thinking the Indian market at 42nd and Walnut would be worth a shot (though doubtful). Percy got them online at approx. $10/mango, which is a bit pricey for just satisfying my curiosity... anyways, suggestions appreciated!

I've been reading about the "king of mangoes" various places and am really curious to know what they're like. (Apparently the Alphonsos are way better than the Tommy Atkins/Haden varieties we're used to eating in the U.S.) Does anyone know where I can get my hands on some?

I was thinking the Indian market at 42nd and Walnut would be worth a shot (though doubtful). Percy got them online at approx. $10/mango, which is a bit pricey for just satisfying my curiosity... anyways, suggestions appreciated!

Wait for next year and try the mumbai mangos, there even better, but only in season for 4-6 weeks!

We had them briefly in Austin. They were $3.99 each.

Deep yellow flesh, a little stringy and strong mango flavor. They were good, but not four dollars good. I love the 99 cent Atulfos and buy them all the time. I guess it's all about having an appreciation for produce that is hard to source. But just because it's hard to get doesn't ( in my opinion ) make it worth the extra money.

Wait for next year and try the mumbai mangos, there even better, but only in season for 4-6 weeks!

What do you mean by "Mumbai mangos"? Mumbai does not have a large mango grove, but acts as the mango clearance hub for nearby places like Ratnagiri.

The ones I have on order are from Ratnagiri. Diann, maybe we can have a mango tasting when I get them.

Cheers

Percy

i asked john at sue's produce and he said they're in season for a little while longer, and he may get them if he can get them for a price that he thinks he can sell them at.

in other words, if he's getting them for $4-5 a mango, how many is he going to be able to sell for $8 or something? i'm good for a couple, but i'm just one person...

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a sample of what I got from http://organicfruitclub.com. A little small, but very sweet and delicious.

The skin of Alphonso mangoes is much thinner, the meat has a deeper flavor and sweetness. I highly recommend them.

gallery_21049_162_816.jpg

If you don't want to spend the money, you can occasionally find sliced canned Alphonso mangoes. However, they are packed in sugar syrup, which in my opinion ruins the flavor, though its good on ice cream or in a milkshake.

• 9 months later...
I read the article on Indian mangoes last year in Saveur, and also read that Indian mangoes are now being imported to the US.  Has anyone seen any for sale locally this season, especially the Alphonso variety?

Sue's had them last year. I know they were available somewhere in the hinterlands, because percyn tracked them down out there. I expect they will be much more widely distributed this year. I'll be surprised if DiBruno's, among others, don't get it: they had mangosteens a couple of months ago, after all.

I read the article on Indian mangoes last year in Saveur, and also read that Indian mangoes are now being imported to the US.  Has anyone seen any for sale locally this season, especially the Alphonso variety?

Sue's had them last year. I know they were available somewhere in the hinterlands, because percyn tracked them down out there. I expect they will be much more widely distributed this year. I'll be surprised if DiBruno's, among others, don't get it: they had mangosteens a couple of months ago, after all.

Thanks. I called Sue's and they are expecting them in mid-June. I tried Iovine's but they said the prices are too high for them to carry them. Anastasio's also said they have no plans to carry Indian mangoes.

Last year was the first time they were allowed back in the US and it was hard to find. I was finally able to buy them at $10/each + shipping from an ®etailer based in CA.

However, just yesterday I bought a box of 12 for $30 from an Indian store in Norristown. Much better value this time around, though the quality is not the best. While the store owner was not sure if he would be getting another shipment, I might be getting 2 dozen super high quality ones shipped to me from India.

If you are curious about the taste, PM me and I will share some.

Edited by percyn (log)