• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Downtown LA Lunch Recomendation needed

Swicks

Hey all,

I will be taking my mother to lunch and then a performance of "Jersey Boys" in downtown LA for her birthday in July and wanted a lunch recommendation in the Downtown area.

Is Water Grill still good after Cimarusti's departure? Any other choices?

Thanks for the help.

-SW

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Yes, Water Grill is still good. Admittedly, Cimarusti still knows how to cook fish.

Questions: Is lunch on a weekday or on a weekend? Is an early dinner an option? Is your mother a foodie? What does she like to eat? Please let us know.

BTW Happy Birthday to your mother, Swicks!! She must have gone through much, ehh?? :raz::raz:

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Thanks for the tips guys, I know keeping it downtown limits the options somewhat but I think Water Grill is going to be a good choice.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

An update, its on a Saturday so this is severely limiting to our choices unfortunately.

Anyone been to Kendall's Brasserie?

An update, its on a Saturday so this is severely limiting to our choices unfortunately.

Anyone been to Kendall's Brasserie?

Yes, it's part of the Patina Group, Joachim Splichal et al.

It's not bad, nothing cutting-edge. It is conveniently close, on the corner of the Music Center.

Swicks, I thought the performance may be on a weekend. There's places over in Chinatown, mainly dim sum on a Sat. morning. Let me check on your Sat. options.

NB Here's a link to Downtown LA dining.

Edited by rjwong (log)

I finally remembered answering a similiar question, Swicks, re: finding restaurants that are open for Sat. lunch. There's not much, but here it goes.

Kendall's Brasserie I already mentioned.

Empress Pavilion in Chinatown. My usual dim sum place to take friends and guests to. Traditional dim sum experience with ladies pushing the food carts and a huge dining room that can seat several hundred people.

Pacific Dining Car on Sixth St., across the street from Good Samaritan Hospital. Old-fashion steakhouse since 1921. Open 24/7. Beautiful decor. They even serve afternoon tea.

That's it, unless you want Sat. dinner. Enjoy!!