• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Oceanaire Seafood Room"

markk

A very trusted media source has recommended The Oceanaire Seafood Room, which is apparently an upscale seafood chain with restaurants in Atlanta, Baltimore, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, Miami, Minneapolis, Orlando, Philadelphia, San Diego, Seattle, and DC, with 3 more major cities coming soon.

http://www.theoceanaire.com/

I've never even heard of it!

Have any of you had any experience at one of their locations? As it's a national chain, I didn't know where else to post this.

According to a description I found, "Prices sail high, with entrées between $20 and $35 for lunch and $25 to $60 for dinner", - that's extracted from a glowing review from a very reliable source that has never steered me towards a less than great meal.

(I called one location, and was told that the menu changes twice daily. This reminded me that the only other "upscale" seafood chain I tried also said this (McCormick & Schmick's) but my meal there was thoroughly mediocre.)

So, anybody been to The Oceanaire yet?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

A very trusted media source has recommended The Oceanaire Seafood Room, which is apparently an upscale seafood chain with restaurants in Atlanta, Baltimore, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, Miami,  Minneapolis, Orlando, Philadelphia, San Diego, Seattle, and DC, with 3 more major cities coming soon. 

http://www.theoceanaire.com/

I've never even heard of it!

Have any of you had any experience at one of their locations?  As it's a national chain, I didn't know where else to post this.

According to a description I found, "Prices sail high, with entrées between $20 and $35 for lunch and $25 to $60 for dinner", - that's extracted from a glowing review from a very reliable source that has never steered me towards a less than great meal. 

So, anybody been to The Oceanaire yet?

I've eaten at the Oceanaire in San Diego and blogged about it here - http://thediningdiva.typepad.com/the_dinin...aire_seafo.html

The one in San Diego is actually quite good and has become the happy hour watering hole for the trendy 30-something downtown business crowd. A number of my food friends think it has the best oyster bar in SD. Now mind you, San Diego isn't exactly an oyster destination, so the experience may differ from location to location. The menu is about half straight-up fish preparations for entrees with the other half of the entrees being fussy dishes with a lot of ingredients. Stick to the simply prepared ones and you probably won't be disappointed. Portions are large, sides (all a la carte) are HUGE, more than enough for 2, and prices are on the high side of moderate. It is possible to eat there for less than $60/person including drinks, depending, of course upon what you select.

The executive chef for the SD Oceanaire (Brian Malarky) is a contestant on the upcoming Top Chef season that starts next Wednesday. He is well regarded as a chef in San Diego.

I can attest to the fact that the branch in San Diego is good, worth the $$$ and you really don't feel like you're eating in a chain resto.

I was pleasantly surprised by the place when it opened in Seattle. The portions were ridiculously large, but the fish prep was solid. The chef went on to do them, and himself proud over the following years - great local supporter of events and lobbying for sustainability. That would be Kevin Davis, who opened Steelhead Diner at the Pike Place Market earlier this year.

I have eaten at the SD location on several ocasions as well as the Charlotte location, all times the food was excellent. Though at the SD location there is one particular waiter which I have had twice who I really did not like at all, very aloof, treated us like we were idiots, not friendly, etc. In any case, its a great spot, look at it like a steakhouse but with seafood.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Though at the SD location there is one particular waiter which I have had twice who I really did not like at all, very aloof, treated us like we were idiots, not friendly, etc.

That has been the most frequent complaint about the San Diego location. In fact, the snooty service by a few of the waitstaff has been a major turn-off for some pretty knowlegable foodie types. There is certainly no excuse or reason for that type of staff attitude, particularly in a city like SD which is decidedly relaxed and easy going.

I have been taken by friends to the one in DC and each time it has been quite good. The fish (and shellfish) is very fresh, but simply prepared, and in fairly huge portions - no great innovation and the shared side items are old school steak house style. Overall, I would eat there again, but if left to my own devises would probably eat somewhere else. The best thing I had was something a friend ordered but could not finish, the Arctic Char cooked in a salt crust.

• 2 weeks later...

Comment on the post immediately above:

The poster visited the recently opened Philadelphia location, on historic Washington Square.

The poster is also quite likely the best chef in Philadelphia today.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3