• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Joy of Cooking Website

Carrot Top

Not quite ready for primetime -- got no hits when I searched for squirrel :laugh:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Not to diminish the joy (so to speak) of this find, but the content of this site seems not to comprise the entire content of the book; rather, they've got featured recipes, tips, and techniques (which, alas, don't seem to include that classic treatise on how to skin a squirrel). :smile:

Well . . . I'm pretty sure that by the time I catch my squirrel, they'll have information for me on how to skin it.

Were either of you planning to cook squirrel tonight? :rolleyes:

:laugh:

P.S. Looks like there is a forum where the squirrel question, or others, can be asked if the need arises. :wink:

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Probably. So many things are. :smile:

Someone sent the link to me, a foodie-librarian-historian, and she seemed to be very happy it was there.

The book has such a huge following that I can see the forums being active for discussions about recipes and "how it came out" or "what did I do wrong" sort of thing . . . which is useful for people, aside from the marketing angle.

I don't even own the book, myself. :biggrin:

I don't even own the book, myself.  :biggrin:

Okay, that explains why you weren't getting our references to squirrels. One of the most beloved bits of information in the classic editions of Joy was the instructions on how to skin a squirrel. Not that I had ever wanted or needed to know that info, but just the fact that the Rombauer ladies put it in there tickled us Joy fans--it was the "look how desert-island-required-reading this book is!" phenomenon. When they did the controversial new and improved edition a few years ago, a lot of old bits of lore, like the squirrel-skinning, had gone missing. So now checking for the squirrel has become one of the touchstones of how you can tell you've got a classic edition or the new one that's been mucked around with. :biggrin:

I don't even own the book, myself.  :biggrin:

When they did the controversial new and improved edition a few years ago, a lot of old bits of lore, like the squirrel-skinning, had gone missing. So now checking for the squirrel has become one of the touchstones of how you can tell you've got a classic edition or the new one that's been mucked around with. :biggrin:

:shock: I'd heard of the squirrel part in the past but not that they *dropped* it.

How dare they. :angry: