• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black raspberries

sanrensho

I was think of planting some black raspberries this year, but have never tasted or picked them. In fact, I've never seen black raspberries sold in our local markets.

How do they taste compared to regular (red) raspberries? Of course, there are many varieties of red raspberries, but I'd like to know if there is a significant difference in taste.

Thanks in advance.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Yes, there certainly is a difference in taste. Where red raspberries can be quite tart, black raspberries are usually sweeter and more mellow in taste. Purple and gold raspberries are sort of in-betweens.

Blackberries are more similar to black raspberries when cooked, as in a pie or jam, but fresh blackberries are really sour and somewhat bitter when compared to fresh black raspberries.

Black raspberries need to be watered or the fruit can be so seedy that it cannot be used fresh. Also, I believe the plants are susceptible to some sort of blight so are not as easy to grow. They grow berries next year on this year's new growth.

I love black raspberries. :wub:

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Black raspberries grow almost wild here in southern New England. I have a large stand in Connecticut that requires very little care--just a few hours of pruning in the dormant season. My red raspberries are far less prolific and much moodier. They also seem to be troubled more by insects and other pests.

That said, black raspberries do not have the delicacy of flavor the red ones have. They are, however, very good in their own right. And I read last year that they are among the healthiest of fruits, super high in anti-oxidants.

If you've had black raspberry ice cream, which is a relatively common flavor around here, you have an idea of what they taste like. If you haven't--definitely make some.

Thanks for the input, Catherine and Ruth. It sounds like it will be worthwhile to plant some of the black raspberries next to my patch of regular raspberries. Hopefully I'll have a decent crop in about 2009 or so!

Baker of "impaired" cakes...