• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LA Eating Near W. Hollywood

Ericanyc

My husband is going to be in LA for business and is looking for some good restaurants - he will be in West Hollywood but has a rental car. While on an expense account he would much rather eat at the really fabulous hole in the wall places that are overlooked by guidebooks and tourists. Suggestions?

He should definitely try Angelini Osteria, hardly "overlooked" anymore, but quite good. Sushi over the hill on Ventura Blvd.: I'd suggest making a reservation at Katsu-Ya for sushi or Asenebo for full Japanese. And if he wants to get off the beaten trail, Koreatown for BBQ (all u can eat at Sootbul Guirim is really good).

ok for hole in the wall stuff in hollywood,,,,, places local chefs go to,,,

cactus taco on vine about a block and a half north of melrose looks like a old photo mat w some benches waaaaaaay good al pastor and open till 3 am ish

hollywood thai restaurant it looks obnoxious but its great, my gf is born and raised thai, thinks its great,,

so many dive restaurants in la seriously check out little ethnic places,,,, these are your best bets for great food in la,,,,

dont waste your money on the big name la spots,,,,,, i do like hungry cat though its on sunset and vine not really considered fine dining but fun and tasty, without the bs "foodie scene that you get alot in the bigger places in la"

ah cubans at cafe tropical in silverlake is always great sit outside on a nice day mango shakes are great there too

petes in downtown for burgers and fries,,,,,, sit outside for a lil local "experience"

soot bull jeep in k town is always great, but there a ton of other great spots right on western just south of melrose,

monterey park is outstanding for chinese,,,, so many places,

can always hit up pinks hotdogs tasty cheap and quick

happy eating,,,,,,, oh yeah the lower the dept of healthy score on ethnic spots the better they tend to taste,, kinda a rest biz inside tip about la spots

My husband is going to be in LA for business and is looking for some good restaurants - he will be in West Hollywood but has a rental car. While on an expense account he would much rather eat at the really fabulous hole in the wall places that are overlooked by guidebooks and tourists. Suggestions?

Yes.

If your husband needs an "expense account"-type restaurant (aka $$$$), there are plenty of restaurants along La Cienega Blvd. and Beverly Blvd. ("old" Restaurant Row and "new" Restaurant Row, respectively). The two streets intersect each other. The southwest corner is the Beverly Center.

Thai Town is located on Hollywood Blvd, east of the Hollywood area, between Western and Normandie. Many Thai places to choose from, and they're open until two in the morning, maybe longer on weekends.

As for burgers, try the original Tommy's Burgers on Beverly and Rampart, near downtown LA. Ditto on Pink's Hot Dogs on the northwest corner of Melrose and La Brea.

Carousel, a Persian/Armenian restaurant, is pretty good. Located on the south side of Hollywood Blvd., just west of Normandie, in a mini plaza with limited parking. This is the original location with another one in Glendale.

Koreatown is south of Thai Town. The boundaries include: Western on the west; Melrose on the north; Vermont on the east; and Olympic on the south. Korean BBQ, tofu houses, etc. Some are open during the night.

Mind you, on Olympic Blvd., east of Western is a Oaxacan restaurant called Guelaguetza. Four different kinds of mole (MOH leh), and if you're adventurous, crickets (or grasshoppers).

Atlacatl is a Salvadorean restaurant with pupusas, yucca, among other things. Located on the north side of Beverly Blvd., two blocks west of Vermont, where there's a Metro Red Line station.

I hope this helps, and we want a full report.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Not sure if these are "tourist" spots, but they are popular with the locals..

Table 8 (recently re-opened after a renovation)

Lucques

A.O.C.

Edited by jsmeeker (log)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Yes, I know Mozza is the new in place to go (Mario Batali/Nancy Silverton) and not far from WeHo at the corner of Melrose & Highland. However, I am forever a fan of Angeli Caffe on Melrose . . . a little further west. The owner there, Evan Kleiman, taught LA about great real Italian food when we were just hearing of Wolfgang Puck and is big in the slow foods movement. Never had a bad meal there.

Also, not far from WeHo is the Original Farmer's Market @ 3rd & Fairfax. Skip the new glitzy mall, The Grove, attached to it but the Original Farmer's Market is great and an LA institution. Pick up something to eat at one of the stalls and grab a table and people watch, or get some table service and French Food at Monsieur Marcel, or go for a yummy all-American breakfast ant Dupar's. Either way, be sure to wander around. A great LA classic!

Oh yeah, what's the name of Michelle Myer's pastry shop on La Cienege across from Sona? Go get some macaroons.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Yes, I know Mozza is the new in place to go (Mario Batali/Nancy Silverton) and not far from WeHo at the corner of Melrose & Highland.  However, I am forever a fan of Angeli Caffe on Melrose . . . a little further west.  The owner there, Evan Kleiman, taught LA about great real Italian food when we were just hearing of Wolfgang Puck and is big in the slow foods movement.  Never had a bad meal there.

Also, not far from WeHo is the Original Farmer's Market @ 3rd & Fairfax.  Skip the new glitzy mall, The Grove, attached to it but the Original Farmer's Market is great and an LA institution.  Pick up something to eat at one of the stalls and grab a table and people watch, or get some table service and French Food at Monsieur Marcel, or go for a yummy all-American breakfast ant Dupar's.  Either way, be sure to wander around.  A great LA classic!

Oh yeah, what's the name of Michelle Myer's pastry shop on La Cienege across from Sona?  Go get some macaroons.

boule

For my money, the absolute must is a stop at Loteria Grill in the farmer's market for Mexican. It's the best in L.A., and he MUST get the Enchiladas in mole. Grab a beer at the bar next door and enjoy. If he can hadle it, finish the trip off with a dessert crepe at the stand a few feet away.