• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Recent tastes

Florida Jim

2006 Dom. de Fontsainte, Gris de Gris (Rosé):

This dry rosé from Corbières smells of strawberry and persimmon with a mineral undertone; tastes full flavored and peppery with a satin texture and ripe fruit; and, is flavorful and bone dry on the finish. Excellent accompaniment to a salad with grilled chicken and very nice on its own, albeit shows young. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and about $11; I’d buy it again.

2006 Castaño, Yecla Rosé:

Monastrell made pink and not especially pleasing; I think this got a dose of sugar – if not, the winemaker might want to think about a day job; syrupy and cloying, even over ice. For those who like very sweet rosé . . . and that’s not me. 13.5% alcohol, imported by Eric Solomon and about $7; I would not buy it again.

2000 Alvear, Sherry Fino en Rama (375 ml):

100% Pedro Ximenez, this crisp, fresh wine has scents of yeasty bread dough, almond and white fruit; it’s bright, mouthwatering, a touch smoky on the palate and carries the flavors of the nose with intensity; and, it finishes long and bone dry. Served cold with smoked Gouda and nuts, it was perfect. Certainly not for everyone, but I very much enjoyed it. 15% alcohol, imported by Stacole, price unknown; I’d buy it again.

2004 Perrin, Côtes-du-Rhône Réserve:

An expressive nose of meat, smoke, garrigue, red fruit and earth, nicely complex and open; less impressive in the mouth but still the flavors follow the nose and the balance is good – it just seems a bit washed out; decent length. Very easy to drink and food friendly as it went well with pasta with almond and fresh tomato sauce. 13% alcohol, imported by Vineyard Brands and about $8; I’d probably buy it again but would like to try other vintages to see if the flavor profile differs.

2004 Dom. Tempier, Bandol:

As always, this Domaine produces wines of character, terroir and concentration; complex and enticing on the nose; deep, layered, ripe and balanced in the mouth and excellent length. Very Bandol.

Beautiful with grilled sausages.

Unfortunately, their prices are now beyond my reach. 11-14% alcohol (I’d guess this is on the high end), imported by Kermit Lynch and about $30. Much as I love the wine, I won’t spend that anymore.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com