• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Save The Deli

Also, make sure to head to Rascal House for one last meal.  it's being torn down later this year.

I'm not so sure that Rascal House is do-able. I think it would be a sadder than sad experience at this point.

I should add here that nobody loved that place more than I did. I used to eat 7 dinners a week there when I'd vacation in Miami several times a year. But the Jerry's people destroyed it, and over the few years since they bought it, it's gotten worse, and worse, and worse. Now it's just a very (very) sad shadow of its former self, with food that's even sadder.

Personally, I think they did it in stages, on purpose, so that nobody would miss the place when they ultimately got rid of it. But if you go (anybody) and get anything remotely edible, and have even a marginally enjoyable visit, please do post about it!

It's a shonda what they did to that place, for certain. Snuffing it out slowly only to tear it down. A shonda!

The lunch was pretty terrible, but I have to say that the danish and baked goods are still top notch. Probably because they have to bake for Jerry's and Epicure. Tragic. Truly.

Save the Deliwww.savethedeli.com

Also, make sure to head to Rascal House for one last meal.  it's being torn down later this year.

I'm not so sure that Rascal House is do-able. I think it would be a sadder than sad experience at this point.

I should add here that nobody loved that place more than I did. I used to eat 7 dinners a week there when I'd vacation in Miami several times a year. But the Jerry's people destroyed it, and over the few years since they bought it, it's gotten worse, and worse, and worse. Now it's just a very (very) sad shadow of its former self, with food that's even sadder.

Personally, I think they did it in stages, on purpose, so that nobody would miss the place when they ultimately got rid of it. But if you go (anybody) and get anything remotely edible, and have even a marginally enjoyable visit, please do post about it!

It's a shonda what they did to that place, for certain. Snuffing it out slowly only to tear it down. A shonda!

The lunch was pretty terrible, but I have to say that the danish and baked goods are still top notch. Probably because they have to bake for Jerry's and Epicure. Tragic. Truly.

Yes, I took out a circular nut pastry last year (well, I don't know the singular of 'schnecken'), and it was really good.

So - where do we go now for good Jewish food in Miami?

I was recommended to Mo's Bagels in Aventura, and I've had several good lunches there. The dinner selection looks great, but they close the doors and you have to be done eating at 7:30 pm, and for me, that's way too early to eat, especially on vacation, so I think it'll never happen. But, is there any place else for a nice boiled beef Flanken around?

Interestingly, right after Jerry's opened, I had read a review that made it sound so horrible, the food specifically, that it was hard to imagine a place being that terrible. So we went for pastrami sandwiches for lunch, and it was just as bad as the person had described it. I don't get it.

A few years after that, when Rascal House turned horrible (and we had no where to go for our Flanken dinners), I called Jerrys HQ in California and spoke to the CEO's #2 person to tell her that they had destroyed tthe place and that the food was inedible. All she could say to me was "our numbers are up there, and this is the first complaint we've heard." I told her that on the various nights I had gone (until I finally gave up) there were very (very) serious compalints, turning into major scenes between a lot of really irate customers and managment, with one waitress advising a dissatisfied customer "this is the NEW Rascal House - take it or leave it!". The Jerry's exec said she had no idea of any of that.

Well, the end of an era. I actually remember the South Beach Wolfie's from the 1950's, too.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Yeah, truly sad.

I poked around for a week in S. Florida and came up with a few good delis. I keep the bagel places in a separate category.

-Arnie and Richie's-Miami Beach ... the last one around.

-Sage in Aventura ... quite good

-Pompadale in Ft. Lauderdale... honor system, good pastrami, a real classic place

-3g's in DelRay... best food I've had in S. Florida

-Best deli in Plantation...nice small place, gorgeous breakfast knish

-Ben's Kosher in Boca Raton...not small or old, but they pickle their own corned beef in house and the fried kreplach are classic. Go hang with the old Borscht Belt comedians

My parents took us there frequently when we were kids. I can still picture the waitresses with their folded fancy hankies under their nameplates. My grandma would pour a bit of coffee into the small cream container for my sister to drink.

I too can't bear to see what its become so I skip it when I'm in Florida.

Yeah, truly sad.

I poked around for a week in S. Florida and came up with a few good delis.  I keep the bagel places in a separate category.

-Arnie and Richie's-Miami Beach ... the last one around. 

-Sage in Aventura ... quite good

-Pompadale in Ft. Lauderdale... honor system, good pastrami, a real classic place

-3g's in DelRay... best food I've had in S. Florida

-Best deli in Plantation...nice small place, gorgeous breakfast knish

-Ben's Kosher in Boca Raton...not small or old, but they pickle their own corned beef in house and the fried kreplach are classic.  Go hang with the old Borscht Belt comedians

While in Florida last week., I ate at The Sage( the best bagels everah!!). Their matza ball soup is sub par. They serve it with spagettie noodles( an outrage). I also ate at The Best Deli. I've been eating there since I was a kid( I grew up in Plantation). Their matza ball soup was just weird. It was very dark and tasted vaugely of tomatoes.

The Flashback Diner in Hallandale as good soup. My sister ordered a steven speilberg sandwich( triple layer of pastrami, corned beef, swiss cheese( so its not kosher) and russian dressing. She enjoyed it.

While in Florida last week., I ate at The Sage( the best bagels everah!!). Their matza ball soup is sub par. They serve it with spagettie noodles( an outrage). I also ate at The Best Deli. I've been eating there since I was a kid( I grew up in Plantation). Their matza ball soup was just weird. It was very dark and tasted vaugely of tomatoes.

The Flashback Diner in Hallandale as good soup. My sister ordered a steven speilberg sandwich( triple layer of pastrami, corned beef, swiss cheese( so its not kosher) and russian dressing. She enjoyed it.

• 1 month later...
The deli world lost an icon this week with the death of Al Langer, 94, the founder of Langer's Delicatessen in Los Angeles, home to the finest pastrami sandwich in the land.

Alef Hasholem

I haven't been to Langer's. So I take it you consider their pastrami superior to Katz's? Is there any way you could describe how?

Michael aka "Pan"

• 8 months later...