• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

@TdeV, I actually have both of those books, I agree that they're pretty good.  But mostly I came away from them more comfortable adapting my own regular food (which tends toward high-calorie anyway).  

Everything turned out fine!  Even that sticky messy mass of rice!!  It was actually delicious, and the six-year old scarfed it down like a champion.  Boiled sausage is not the most delicious thing ever, but I fixed it with salt and red pepper flakes, and the truth is that the texture was quite nice in the soup.  

The slaw concept worked out really well, it added a fresh note which was great by day 3.  

And no one died or even felt sick!  The half-dehydrated half slow-thaw frozen seemed to work out fine, even though we just did not have the fuel for the 10 minute boil that I was trying to push.

And, finally.  It was too much food.  I'm not sure why I was so terrified that it wouldn't be enough food.  It was, like, twice as much food.  I kept thinking, you children are not eating enough . . . .

@palo, I was in FL for a day and an excellent seafood meal.  And to pick up other goodies:  in fact, the first camp-night's dinner was actually ribs from Jenkins, I called ahead and ordered three slabs and a bunch of non-mayo-type sides. 

The main thing we were doing, after pre-gaming on ribs and ribs-sides at Stephen C. Foster State Park, was several days of canoe camping in Okefenokee (GA).  

Thanks for the support, guys.  I was freaking out, when the dehydration theory went south due to weather, I was quite anxious that I was gonna kill people, either through food poisoning or else through homicidal rage from having to portage three coolers full of food that was supposed to been dehydrated.  

SLB

SLB

@TdeV, I actually have both of those books, I agree that they're pretty good.  But mostly I came away from them more comfortable adapting my own regular food (which tends toward high-calorie anyway).  

Everything turned out fine!  Even that sticky messy mass of rice!!  It was actually delicious, and the six-year old scarfed it down like a champion.  Boiled sausage is not the most delicious thing ever, but I fixed it with salt and red pepper flakes, and the truth is that the texture was quite nice in the soup.  

The slaw concept worked out really well, it added a fresh note which was great by day 3.  

And no one died or even felt sick!  The half-dehydrated half slow-thaw frozen seemed to work out fine, even though we just did not have the fuel for the 10 minute boil that I was trying to push.

And, finally.  It was too much food.  I'm not sure why I was so terrified that it wouldn't be enough food.  It was, like, twice as much food.  I kept thinking, you children are not eating enough . . . .

@palo, I was in FL for a day, and an excellent seafood meal.  In fact, the first night's dinner was actually ribs from Jenkins, I called ahead and ordered three slabs and a bunch of non-mayo-type sides.  The main thing was several days of canoe camping in Okefenokee (GA).  

Thanks for the support, guys.  I was freaking out, when the dehydration theory went south due to weather, I was quite anxious that I was gonna kill people, either through food poisoning or else through homicidal rage from having to portage three coolers full of food that was supposed to been dehydrated.  

SLB

SLB

@palo, I was in FL for a day, an excellent seafood meal.  In fact, the first night's dinner was actually ribs from Jenkins, I called ahead and ordered three slabs and a bunch of non-mayo-type sides.  The main thing was several days of canoe camping in Okefenokee (GA).  

SLB

SLB

@palo, I was in FL for a day, an excellent seafood meal.  In fact, the first night's dinner was actually ribs from Jenkins, I called ahead and ordered three slabs and a bunch of non-mayo-type sides.  The main thing was several days of canoe camping in Okefenokee (GA).  

Thanks for the support, guys.  I was freaking out, when the dehydrator went south due to weather, I was quite anxious that I was gonna kill people, either through food poisoning or else through homicidal rage from having to portage three coolers full of food that was supposed to been dehydrated.  

SLB

SLB

@palo, I was in FL for a day, an excellent seafood meal.  In fact, the first night's dinner was actually ribs from Jenkins, I called ahead and ordered three slabs and a bunch of non-mayo-type sides.  The main thing was several days of canoe camping in Okefenokee.  

Thanks for the support, guys.  I was freaking out, when the dehydrator went south due to weather, I was quite anxious that I was gonna kill people, either through food poisoning or else through homicidal rage from having to portage three coolers full of food that was supposed to been dehydrated.