• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese liquor store

Dryden

So, I know a ton of places in chinatown to buy shaoxing wine for cooking, but none to buy it for drinking... Can anyone suggest a place? Do I have to go to flushing for this?

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Nah, there's plenty of liquor stores in Chinatown that sell the decent stuff in fancy bottles...there's one of E. Broadway just south of Rutgers and a couple on Mott St. - of course, I don't know the names or the addresses, but if you take a walk down Mott you'll surely find one or two...they tend to blend in and unless you're looking for them, you won't find!

Most of the Shaoxing wine sold in the markets has salt as an ingredient, doesn't it?

When I'm out today, I'll keep an eye out for them.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

It can be, some of it is shaoxing, some of it is hung lu, but the stuff they have at Kam Man and similar places is primarily for cooking with, and I'm trying to find a place that has "drinking-grade" shaoxing.

Here's one of the "cooking" types I see a lot

http://www.supplierlist.com/photo_images/1...aoxing_wine.jpg

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Is that Mott north or south of Canal?

If the red label, (Japanese name shokoshu) is the FANCY stuff, I sure as hell don't wanna try the cheap stuff! That stuff would strip a '56 chevy!!!

Nah, there's plenty of liquor stores in Chinatown that sell the decent stuff in fancy bottles...there's one of E. Broadway just south of Rutgers and a couple on Mott St. - of course, I don't know the names or the addresses, but if you take a walk down Mott you'll surely find one or two...they tend to blend in and unless you're looking for them, you won't find!

Most of the Shaoxing wine sold in the markets has salt as an ingredient, doesn't it?

When I'm out today, I'll keep an eye out for them.