• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marché Moderne Opening (Orange County)

SiseFromm

Shhh ... Happy New Year, everyone!! Here are some photos from Marché Moderne, from behind the “Orange Curtain” (i.e., Orange County, California) ... shhh ...

C'mon Russell, aren't you going to give us your thoughts on the meal??

The tagine dish looks like their scallops and I can see the short ribs pretty clearly, but what was the other dish?

This lunch menu sounds like quite the deal!

Can someone give me a bit more info?  Is it just a set few items from the menu or is it the whole menu?

When we went the 3-course lunch deal had a starter (salad), your choice of one of two entrees (steak or scallops) and a dessert. The only "choice" was in the entree. I think they've been offering it for some time as I've seen it on previous trips.

Interesting....its been awhile since I have been back, yet another reason to get in there! Sounds like a steal, its $20 not including drinks, tax and tip?

Also....Russell...looks like you finally made the trip, I look forward to your report.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Shhh ... Happy New Year, everyone!! Here are some photos from Marché Moderne, from behind the “Orange Curtain” (i.e., Orange County, California) ... shhh ...

C'mon Russell, aren't you going to give us your thoughts on the meal??

The tagine dish looks like their scallops and I can see the short ribs pretty clearly, but what was the other dish?

I can't sneak one past you, ehh Alex??

The first food photo was ... bread and butter ... :raz:

You got everything else correct.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I fear the lack of review by RJ might suggest an underwhelming experience?  Hmm . . .

Jason, why are you afraid?? Fear not! Instead, we should be afraid of this heavy storm tonight. I'm not going out tonight, thank you.

Okay, here's my report. About a couple of weeks before Christmas, I dropped off some presents over to my sister's place. Afterwards, I decided to drop by South Coast Plaza and eat at Marche Moderne. By around 6:00 p.m., the place was almost full. I managed to snatch a spot over at the bar.

I ordered the tagine of scallops. As an appetizer, the portion was huge! And it tasted wonderful with the Moroccan/North African seasonings.

For my entree, I had the beef ribs, that was served in that cast iron container. Along with the beef, I drank a 3 oz. glass of Bourgogne.

Everything tasted so delicious! I would agree with Irene's three-star rating.

Jason, have you tried the new brasserie, Comme Ca, on Melrose, across the street from Lucques?? That place seems a bit similiar to Marche Moderne. When you get a chance, please give Comme Ca a try. I would like to hear your thoughts about that brasserie, in comparison to Marche Moderne.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I ordered the tagine of scallops. As an appetizer, the portion was huge!

I've always felt the portions were a bit big, but that's Florent. He always give you plenty of food!

Jason, have you tried the new brasserie, Comme Ca, on Melrose, across the street from Lucques?? That place seems a bit similiar to Marche Moderne. When you get a chance, please give Comme Ca a try. I would like to hear your thoughts about that brasserie, in comparison to Marche Moderne.

I've got to get over there. I've been meaning to. That's David Meyers' new joint, yeah? Interestingly, he was invited along with a major list of heavy hitters (Boloud, Keller, Adria, Blumenthal, etc.) to cook at the Charlie Trotter anniversary dinner. He must have been beside himself to work with all those killer chefs at such an amazing event. Did you hear about Heston Blumenthal's ocean dish that was accompanied by an iPod mini playing sounds of waves crashing?!? Crazy!

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

• 1 year later...
Interesting....its been awhile since I have been back, yet another reason to get in there!    Sounds like a steal, its $20 not including drinks, tax and tip?

It was $25 when I last tried their lunch menu, not including drinks, tax, and tip.

And, as somebody pointed out, the lunch menu does get kind of repetitive especially the desserts which I've found to be the most underwhelming portion of the restaurant. I'd rather not get the desserts, and I view the $25 asthe price for a two course meal and a dessert that I wouldn't have ordered.

If Florneau Morneau wasn't married to the pastry chef, I think we'd have seen a new pastry chef by now.

Maybe, I misunderstood the concept, but I thought the concept was supposed to be seasonal and local. Yet, I saw asparagus and south american seafood in January.