• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Herbs + Rustoleum - Oops

AnnaC

I walked out into our backyard last night to grab a sprig of rosemary, only to find my boyfriend spraypainting an old chair with a coat of Rustoleum - and as you may have guessed from the topic title, a fine mist was drifting over my patch of herbs. So, my question - do I wait for a few good rains? Next year? Or just rip it all out & start afresh?

The label on the paint can says, of course, that this stuff is waterproof & definitely not something one wants to eat - although from the chagrined look on the bf's face last night, I can only imagine how many times we've already done so :rolleyes: .

Ideas? Dire warnings & predictions?

I walked out into our backyard last night to grab a sprig of rosemary, only to find my boyfriend spraypainting an old chair with a coat of Rustoleum - and as you may have guessed from the topic title, a fine mist was drifting over my patch of herbs.  So, my question - do I wait for a few good rains?  Next year?  Or just rip it all out & start afresh?

The label on the paint can says, of course, that this stuff is waterproof & definitely not something one wants to eat - although from the chagrined look on the bf's face last night, I can only imagine how many times we've already done so  :rolleyes:

Ideas?  Dire warnings & predictions?

I suggest you feed him a big herb salad for dinner tonight. If he wakes up in the morning, you're good to go. If not, tear them out and start fresh - new herbs, new bf. :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I thought rosemary was indestructable......cut it back and see what happens

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I would say let it grow ..ask him to please not do that again ....and then eat the new shoots of it ..chances are you and the plant ...should be fine ...I dont think the mist of the paint would go systemic in the plant ..I just would not eat the growth on the plant now ..I would wait for new stuff to come...then snip that off for cooking ect....I worry more what is in the soil affecting what you eat ...

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Shoot him and bury him in the herb garden.  The added nutrients will make them grow, and you can eat the new growth.

I am a Master Gardener, BTW, so I know this will work. :hmmm:

hey I think it is a waste if you shoot him and use him for nutrients ..sounds to me like he is very useful for spray painting ..and since I hate that particular project I say just pen him up somewhere with the paint and take advantage of his usefullness

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I wouldn't risk it. Dig 'em up and try again. It's early enough to get them back before too long. In the meantime, you can buy at least some herbs already in pots to use in the meantime. I did most of Thanksgiving dinner with small pots of fresh herbs. They're cheaper than the packs of "fresh" herbs that most supermarkets sell.

And smack him upside the head for being a dumbass.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

FistFullaRoux : Don't worry, head smack accomplished.

Thanks for all of your advice, guys - while so far no aftereffects from rustoleum already ingested, I'm just too nervous to continue with these plants the way they are - and they seem too young to really snip back & wait for new growth - it seems like they would just wilt away!

I picked up some new herbs this afternoon & will put them in tonight. And then maybe smack the boyfriend in the back of the head again.

Thanks again!