• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is your stove a killer?

LAZ

Whew

good thing my stove was made before the "early 1980s"

:blink:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Earlier this month, Reps. John Dingell (D-Mich.) and Bart Stupak (D-Mich.) requested and received documentation from the CPSC to enable the House commerce committee to investigate and hold hearings on this problem.

Oh fer cryin' out loud. Don't we have better things to worry about? The article states that from 1980 to 1999, there were 18 deaths and 70 serious injuries reported from these "killer" stoves, most involving the elderly or infants. Just WTH is an infant doing on an open oven door?

1 death per year and nearly 1 million stoves per year sold - do the math. This is so not worthy of legislation.

We just can't legislate stupidity out of the world. It will always win.

I was going to slam that entire article but I stopped myself. There is though this thing called Intended Use. If people are being killed by their ovens they are not using it for their intended use. Using an open stove door as a ladder to get to the back of the cupboard above your stove does not constitute intended use. I'm sure in the do's and dont's section of the operating manual, it clearly states DO NOT stand on oven door when open. Just like it clearly states in the manual DO NOT stick your finger into an electric pencil sharpener. Darwin was right.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band