• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French Propose Bans on Oak Chips as U.S. Wineries

Don Giovanni

French Propose Bans on Oak Chips as :unsure: U.S. Wineries Embrace Oak Alternatives

I love the new buzz word "adjuncts" = Oak Alternatives

The ban is on the grounds that the use of oak chips is not appropriate for these wines because its use is likely to mask the "terroir" (the sense of place)-the central tenet on which the appellation contrôlée system is built.

At this point I have to say I find a problem a contradiction. Doesn't American oak change the terroir..... ? From what I read all oak then in France should come from French forests, yes?

The news that

The method is based on the percentage of empyreumatic compounds in the wine, which are different in chips and casks because of the way the latter are toasted.

Again the wines you are tasting in Bordeaux that have been using the oak chips will not have the life of wine in the past when traditional barrels were used. This is due to the percentage of empyreumatic compounds that is less with oak chips.

If we are to believe the coopers, the dramatic increase of wood chips sales in Bordeaux indicates that there is a market there for the Swiss technique.

Source Researchers at the Changins Engineering School in Vaud, Switzerland, .Sébastien Butticaz, an oenology student, and André Rawyler, his professor of chemistry.

Click On Me

Edited by Don Giovanni (log)

This is somewhat confusing and a bit misleading.

The French are "continuing" their ban on the use of oak alternatives in AOC wines.

No big deal here. The French have an AC system that regulates not only where and what grapes can be grown but also wine making techniques.

This affirmation of the current regulations is in response to the EU which is also attempting to regulate wine and wine making in Europe.

Adding in the point about the US situation is IMOP just adding unnecessary confusion to the issue. Most makers of fine wines (really anywhere in the world) are not using oak alternatives. The size of the winery in the US has little to do with this issue. Use of new (or old) oak in wine making has many purposes other than just "flavoring" a wine.

Many people do like the flavors that oak imparts in a wine so makers of cheap and or bulk wines who do not want the expense of using oak barrels will often seek to add oak flavor to their inexpensive wines.

Basically this piece does a fine job of alerting us that the status quo remains...well...the status quo!

The article in Wine Business Monthly is most likely the result of a slow news period!