• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cross-Country LA-NYC, dining suggestions needed

Embarking on a cross-country adventure from LA to NYC and need to formulate my dining plan. Current thoughts are to take Rte 66 from LA to Missouri, cutting up to Kansas City, taking US-50 through to Washington DC, then up north to NY.

Interested in making this as gastronomic-based a trip as possible, and open to any and all suggestions food-related and otherwise.

FYI, will be my first cross-country drive, and making the trip solo

Well, if your trip takes you through Kansas City, you absolutely must stop at one of the city's better barbecue emporia.

I've yet to try Oklahoma Joe's -- maybe the next time I visit -- and it postdates the years I lived there, but reports I've heard lead me to believe it's first-rate (47th and Mission Road, on the Wyandotte-Johnson county line in KCK).

I was always partial to Gates' (Emmanuel Cleaver II Boulevard and the Paseo and five other area locations), and they've managed to keep up their quality, judging from my most recent visit. You should also visit for their trademark "Hi, may I help YOU?" greeting, shouted at top volume as you cross the threshold.

Fiorella's Jack Stack in Overland Park (95th and Metcalf; also, 135th Street and Holmes Road in Martin City on the Missouri side) has first-rate burnt ends -- a Kansas City specialty.

There are dozens more I can't even remember, and one I can: Bryant's (1727 Brooklyn Avenue and three other area locations), the one everyone outside KC has heard about, thanks to Calvin Trillin. It's no longer owned by the Bryant family, so I can't vouch for its quality now.

There are also plenty of great non-barbecue restaurants in the area; the dining scene has improved immensely since the mid-1970s, when I left for college and for good. Current residents, I'm sure, can fill you in on those.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Rte 66 from LA to Missouri, cutting up to Kansas City, taking US-50 through to Washington DC, then up north to NY.

So that'll put you skirting the SE corner of Kansas City. My favorite (non-BBQ, Sandy nailed that one) recs for that area would be Spin for pizza, 40 Sardines for sit down finer cuisine.

When you drive through Sedalia, MO on 50, there's a great little counter diner (I beleive it's located where 50 intersects 65) called the Wheel Inn. I make it point to stop there whenever I pass through.

Also, you'll be in Missouri wine country. There's a restaurant nestled in a vinyard on a bluff in Rocheport that has pretty good food. It's a beautiful a-frame building overlooking the river valley. It's north of I-70 though, so it'd be about a 15 mile detour. But if that was at the end of a driving day, that area is full of cute little B&Bs.

I've yet to try Oklahoma Joe's -- maybe the next time I visit -- and it postdates the years I lived there, but reports I've heard lead me to believe it's first-rate (47th and Mission Road, on the Wyandotte-Johnson county line in KCK).

How have you not come back and eaten there yet? This needs to be rectified ASAP. :raz:

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

I have done the Route 66 drive a couple of times as I move about the country for work. Check out Road Trip USA for a nice guide to restaurants and quirky things to see along the way (I love the Cadillac Ranch with the upended Cadillacs in the middle of the field).

Personal favorites:

The Carthage Deli in Carthage, MO - fantastic milkshakes

The Midpoint Cafe in Adrian Texas - fantastic coconut cream pie with a beautifully flaky crust. Marks the halfway point between Chicago and LA. In the middle of nowhere.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope