• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Natraz (Nyack), Reviews & Discussion

Pan

I went to this restaurant as part of a party of four for dinner tonight. The paintings on the wall are loud and the music is a bit New Agey, but the food was not at all similarly cheesy.

We had the following:

Garden Salad ($3.95) - Large salad, looked like a typical American salad. I didn't try any.

Roti ($2.95). Normal roti, several (at least three) slices.

Eggplant Burta (Eggplant Cooked over Line Charcoal, Pureed and Tempered with Garlic and Spices, $10.95) - Delicious!

Madras Chicken (Pieces of chicken Gentle Simmered in a Roasted Coconut Gravy with an Assortment of Spices, $15.95) - Excellent.

Goan Shrimp Curry (which I ordered, $18.95) - Perfectly fine but not notable. I was thinking of the rendition I had had several years ago at Passage to India in Harrisburg, PA, and this version certainly didn't displace those memories but was quite acceptable.

Chicken Tikka Masala ($16.95) - OK and seemed to be what my friend who ordered this was looking for.

I had Masala Chai ($3 for a bit more than a cup) and what was supposed to be a plain lassi and was actually pretty sweet ($2.50, I think - the takeout menu I'm consulting doesn't list beverages) with the meal, and a friend had decaf coffee ($2.50).

We also liked their papadams and sambhars, especially their rendition of the red raw onion/tomato/chili sauce.

In spite of the garish art and music, this is a classy, very worthwhile, fairly priced Indian restaurant with some versatility, able to execute dishes from both southern and northern India well. I recommend it.

Natraz Indian Cuisine

Special Buffet Lunch Every day (Note: All our food was made to order, and I don't vouch for their buffet lunch)

125 Main St.

Nyack, NY 10960

Tel.: 845-353-6655

Fax: 845-353-6235

Michael aka "Pan"